DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a Leveling kit already on my 06' TRX4. Currently running 35X12.50. I have the stock 17" rims. I am getting some tire rub on the A-Arms in the front when I turn the wheel. Question is, What size spacer do I need to get rid of this... or if a spacer is out of the question, What offset do I need if I buy a new set of rims?
Don't really want to down size in tires because they are new meats.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would go with 1/4 spacers. But i would take it to a local shop and have them check it out they can test fit different sizes. I use 1/4in spacers on my truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, Thanks for the response. Do you have a lift or leveling kit? and what size tires? I put 1/4" spacers on the front--> No rub w/ Procomp mud terrains that are almost worn out, But rubs even worse with my new Wrangler MT/R's w/ Kevlar. I'm super bummed because the wranglers are brand new and don't want to have to buy new tires. So as of now i'm running the MT/R's on the rear and Mud Terrain's on the front to avoid the rub issue. (Both 35X12.50) Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Really the best thing you can do if you have the money is go with some aftermarket rims! The spacers (I HAVE HEARD) can cause problems, some guys say stay clear of them. I personally am getting spacers for my truck as well, but I have rims also. The say it can cause damage to the wheel bearings by wearing them out quicker. I dont know if this is totally true though. It is a controversy thing that will always butt heads. If you do get a spacer then go with either 1/4" or 1/2". You should really know how much you need by looking at how close the tires are to rubbing.

If you go with rims then you should look at an offset of between -10 & -20mm. The best thing about gettig rims is that it makes the truck look different and custom. When I threw rims on my truck it took it to the next level. That would be the best way to fix the tire rubbing issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was hoping i wouldn't have to pony up the cash for new rims, but I think your right scatpack. The farther out your tire is mounted, the more stress it's gonna put on your bearings. I would like to stick with 17's but will go as big as 20". Any other suggestions out there for backspacing and offset to clear 35's???

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport 4x4
4,225 Posts
Yeah, spacers would be the cheap route, but like Scat said rims give your truck a new sweet luck. I would suggest a -12mm offset if you get new wheels. :smileup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I think i'm going with new rims. I'll post pics if I ever decide on a set.:thk:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have also seen wheel spacers cause problems if you wheel/run your truck hard at all if you have the money id get some sweet aftermarket wheels w/ a negative offset

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
If you do go with rims then you should look at a -18mm offset. I have a set of Moto Metal 951 rims and they have a -18mm offset and a 4.8 backspacing. I have 14.5" wide tires on right now and they still clear. They come very close so I am getting a small spacer just to make it more comfortable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm only lookin for as much as maybe 13" wide, so... -12mm should be alright??? By the way, Scat, your truck looks badass! It gives me confidence that your fitting 14.50s under yours

·
Registered
16 Posts
Be careful using spacers. From what I hear they can cause problems with the bearings or something like that down the road. If you can trim the edges only a little bit, I would do that...it'll be the cheapest route, and then you can just get some fender flares for it so you don't even really notice it, since you'll probably need the flares with tires of that size anyway haha

·
Registered
136 Posts
TRX, do you have any pics of the truck with the factories on the 35x12.5s?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I wasn't clear before, but I'm not getting any rub on the fenders. The truck is clearing 35's just fine. It's the A-Arm on the inside of the tire that's rubbing on sharp turns. (just a leveling kit, 2") So...Pro comp mud terrains don't rub with a 1/4" spacer. but my new wrangler MT/R's do. The question now is if I get a new set of rims with a -12 offset will it clear the aggressive sidewall of the mt/R's? Stock rims on it now are 17X8 i believe. I'm looking at a set of
<LI nodeIndex="1">FUEL D534 Boost Wheel, 17x9 w/ -12mm offset and 4.5" backspace.Does anybody out there have a similar set up with no rub issues??

this picture sucks. i'll try to get some closups of the tires

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd go with some aftermarket rims. I'm going with just 17's for tire cost. I'll be getting 35' Goodyear wrangler duratracs right away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered a set of Fuel Boost 17X8 wheels( Black/Polished) -12mm offset, 4.5" backspace. with 35x12.50 Wrangler MT/R's. Also couldn't resist---> ordered an Airaid cold air intake and a superchips programmer. Wife's gonna kill me. Should all be here in about 4 weeks. Will post pics when it's on.
Thanks for the help everybody :smileup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
So what about a wheel with 0mm offset? Would it still work with a 12.50 or does the wheel have to have at least -12mm offset? Can't wait for the pics!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts