DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys and greetings from the UK!

I have a 2005 4x4 Ram 1500 with 20" x 9 wheels.
I currently have the stock (for a Laramie) 275/60/20 tires (33" tall).

I would like to fit some Cooper AT3 xlt tires in 275/65/20. I believe that these are 34" tall and are the same width as the stock tires, therefore, will they simply fit?

I was toying with the idea of having to crank the torsion bars by 1" to accomodate the new tires but am concerned about loss of wheel travel (down), harsh ride and cv angles. Or is 1" so small that it wont be a problem?

I am about to fit Fox 2.0 performance series shocks (0-2" lift) all around so these should help a little with the ride and will cope with a small lift.

I hope this hasn't been asked before - I have tried searching but information on such a small lift is hard to come by.

Incidentally, I want to keep the factory rake for when i haul stuff and was going to install a 1" block in the rear if I have to lift the front by 1"....

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
2002 Ram 1500 4x4, 4.7L
17 Posts
BTT.
Bumping this because I have a similar question about my 02.
I don't love the idea of lifting a T-bar front... even with keys the gains are minimal... it's just not worth it, IMO.
I would, however, like to pull maybe an inch of height out of the T-bars to clear some bigger tires... maybe going up to a 295/70 from stock 265/70 17 (31.6" vs 33.3" IIRC). It would also make the truck look better.
Maybe I'm giving the key-lift a bad rap? Relatively easy install, not expensive, but what are the downsides? Even at <2" are the keys recommended over just cranking up the bars?
It looks like even a "lift" this small would easily clear 33.5" tires on 17x9 wheels.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The whole point of the adjuster screw is to even ride height. I can't think of an argument that makes sense against using them to lift the front end a little bit. Because a person would be starting from a higher spot torsion keys would give you ultimately more lift. I used keys for about 3in I guess and bought some shock extenders because I spend a lot of time off road and didn't want the suspension banging down against my (worn out) factory OffRoad shocks, which seemed pretty short. For the folks with lesser lift who say they have no problems, it may be that they never test the lower limit of shock travel.
I did some other work here:
2003 4x4 BILSTEIN 5100s
'03 1500 Off Road 4x4 5.7L

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would also have to add, that I have recently torn a CV boot and replaced it, followed by junking the inner CV joint on the other side. Have rebuilt axles from NAPA, Cardone I 'm thinking. Because they are rebuilt factory, they look a f*** of a lot better/bigger/stronger than the Chinese replacements sold as new. Also have upper ball joint/control arms, MOOG Problem Solvers, plenty stout, US made. Steel instead of the lighter cool factory aluminum, but the joints look pretty heavy. Available from American Undercar online.
So, like I said, I use this truck a fair amount off road, and my guess is the lift I added in the front is at the limit of what the stock parts will take, little too much angle on the driveshafts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts