DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now my 2014 Ram 1500 (Hemi) has factory 17" wheels and the recommended 265-70-17 tires. I would like to get a little bigger tire mostly for aesthetic reasons, but I'm loving my fuel economy as well. Could you guys recommend a size up tire that looks great, but won't hit my MPG that bad. I would prefer an A/T since I live in the High Cascades of Oregon and will encounter snow and rough forest roads when out and about. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Right now my 2014 Ram 1500 (Hemi) has factory 17" wheels and the recommended 265-70-17 tires. I would like to get a little bigger tire mostly for aesthetic reasons, but I'm loving my fuel economy as well. Could you guys recommend a size up tire that looks great, but won't hit my MPG that bad. I would prefer an A/T since I live in the High Cascades of Oregon and will encounter snow and rough forest roads when out and about. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am running 285/60 20"s on my Ram vs the stock 275/60 20" with stock wheels. The 285 looks a little bigger and have not affected my gas mileage which stays at about 23 mpg at 65 mph. Tires are Michelin all seasons which usually are good enough up here in Upper Michigan.

·
Registered
811 Posts
the larger size isn't what would hurt your fuel economy,
in fact - if 'larger tire diameter' was the only change, then you would expect a slight increase in fuel economy due to the slight decrease in effective FDR

what will kill your fuel economy is the switch to anything other than an 'all season' / highway type of tire.
(unless you wen to an 'eco' type of specific high fuel-economy tire)

it's a tough choice.. off-highway traction vs. fuel economy
a rule of thumb is: the higher the treadwear rating, the better fuel economy

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The more diameter the better highway mileage to some degree. But your trade off there is the taller tire will effectively make your gear ratio higher and a bit more throttle will be needed to get going. And if you tow its going to have to work harder to get going. Also the wider you go it only figures that you have more rolling resistance. Better traction because of surface area, but more area across ground.
I had to chuckel when I saw the MPG posted by the fellow @ 12.1. My 2500 with 5.7 with 3.73 and 295/70x17 gets about that back and forth to work, and I think it sucks. My old 96 Cummings would get 20 ez. But my one and only road trip so far in this truck got me around 13.9 I think. So not a bunch of difference. Heres a link to compare sizes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So if you keep the same wheels, you should be able to go to a 285/70-17 tire. This would take you from a 32” tall tire to a 33”. This wouldn’t affect you much, if at all, but it will look better. A good all-terrain tire won’t affect the mileage by much either. At the end of the day, I’d be surprised if you lost a full mile per gallon. Just keep in mind your speedometer would be off. Not by a lot, but maybe a mile an hour off. You’d be going faster than indicated.

I’m surprised by the 12.1 mpg. I have the Hemi 6.4, and I get that around town. Have managed to push it up to 15.1 just by controlling my throttle. Closer to 20 or 22 on longer drives.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So if you keep the same wheels, you should be able to go to a 285/70-17 tire. This would take you from a 32” tall tire to a 33”. This wouldn’t affect you much, if at all, but it will look better. A good all-terrain tire won’t affect the mileage by much either. At the end of the day, I’d be surprised if you lost a full mile per gallon. Just keep in mind your speedometer would be off. Not by a lot, but maybe a mile an hour off. You’d be going faster than indicated.

I’m surprised by the 12.1 mpg. I have the Hemi 6.4, and I get that around town. Have managed to push it up to 15.1 just by controlling my throttle. Closer to 20 or 22 on longer drives.
My original 265-70-17 tires were closer to 31 inches. I went to LT255-80-17E on stock 7 x 17 wheels (33"). Very happy with them (Falken Wildpeak A/T3W) and they have the Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) symbol for winter driving. I'm also in the Oregon Cascades. My speedo is about 3% low now but I can live with that. No significant change in mileage (18 hiway with 3.92 gears) I've seen the 285-70-17 on 7 inch wheels and they work but look better on 8" wheels. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey bud, I'm running with 20" sneakers on my 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4×4. I'm getting roughly 18mpg, when I'm not hitting the pedal...lol
I love em' man. Looks good and performs well along with the 5.7 Hemi. Just my opinion😉👍

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7Hemi
3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7Hemi
3 Posts
Ramamm14
Lots of good advice from good people, can't go wrong with any of the suggestions. However; I'll answer your true question, what set of tires will make everyone turn their head .
Nitro Range Grapplers 285. They have two different sidewalls yet only one is used. If you want to change ur wheel size make sure u get a decent offset rim configuration or you can just add a 1.5" to 2" Aluminum billet spacer. Be prepared to shell out $1,600 to $2,000 for a set of four mounted and balanced. You'll have zero regrets on this purchase

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am running 285/60 20"s on my Ram vs the stock 275/60 20" with stock wheels. The 285 looks a little bigger and have not affected my gas mileage which stays at about 23 mpg at 65 mph. Tires are Michelin all seasons which usually are good enough up here in Upper Michigan.
I have a 2014 eco diesel quad cab. I was running 265/70r17 on stock wheels and switched over to 285/70r16 Terra Grapplers on the same wheels. My Highway milage went from 26-28 all the way down to 19-21. Any ideas why the change was so drastic? The tires seem to only be about a 14 pound difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 eco diesel quad cab. I was running 265/70r17 on stock wheels and switched over to 285/70r16 Terra Grapplers on the same wheels. My Highway milage went from 26-28 all the way down to 19-21. Any ideas why the change was so drastic? The tires seem to only be about a 14 pound difference.
Sorry, 285/70r17 on those new tires, got wheels size wrong.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

Diameter changed so odometer is off a tick. But I would not think 6 mpg. Is that hand calc or off the computer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts