DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From all the reading I've done it seems like the 2500s sit higher stock than the 1/2 tons. Right now I have a 3/4 ton with a leveling kit and 3" body lift and I am taller than a 1/2 ton with an 8" lift. So my question is, what would be the max size tire I could put on without compromising the travel? Im running 285/65/18 atm and Im thinking about 325/70/18 b/c its the largest firestone destination m/t available. Im getting about 50k out of the set I have now and I dont really wanna mess with success. I don't have the money for toyos and nitto m/t isnt my thing. All flash and no real purpose if you ask me. Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Slightly OT, but the Nitto Trail Grappler isn't al flash like a Mud Grappler. It's more of an old school redesign that works REALLY well IMO.

That said my half ton has a leveling kit and Monroe load levelers. The load levelers gave it a rake....again, but I like the height. Anyhow.....I'm running 295/65/20s ( I read that the Nittos run tall so my overall height was 35.5) with no problems on factory wheels, so surely SURELY you could make the 325s work.

Luke

G

·
I agree. A 325 should work just fine. My only concern going to the wider section width and taller tire is whether or not you'd rub on the inside of the wheel well or at the trailing edge of the front bumper.

I suggest you go out and measure clearance between the tire and the fender (front and rear) and space between the tire and inner wheel well liner/suspension ball joint with the wheel pointing straight ahead. Then, turn the wheel to full steering lock and take the same measurements.

Then determine what the difference is in height between the 65 & 70 series tires to see if you still have room.

Lastly, determine the difference in section width between the 285's and a 325 to see if you have room for the additional width without having to change wheels or offsets.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a road armor bumper and it seems that I wont have a problem with turning. Now I'm just worried about the travel. I think I'm gonna go with the 325's. I have over 30k on my firestone destinations. I was hoping that they would die before then but I guess high mileage isnt a bad thing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a chart with a before and after just for the tires.

from the online tire size calculator
that is really helpful. somehow I figured a 325/70 ended up being ~34.9/12.7. This make a lot of difference. thanks for the posts guys

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what tire should I go with? I said that I didnt want to mess with success but I'm up for any new ideas...thoughts dick cepek, maxxis, pro comp, etc?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I really like nitto's and toyos. The pro comp tires are very nice especially the extreme a/t. General grapplers and cooper zeon ltz's aren't too bad either. Make sure you get the applicable d or e rating depending on how much you tow and stay away from passanger car load ratings intended for crossover suvs. I know i probably didn't narrow it down much since i offered so many choices but if it comes down to it go by price. All of them are great quality.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sticking with E tires, I dont pull heavy often but I would rather not have another set of tires to pull a trailer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guy's,
New to this forum stuff. I was hoping someone could help me. I have a 2006 quad cab 2500 diesel 4x4. I want to put bigger tires on it cuz the stock 265/70/17 look like tricycle tires on it. I was told I could go with 33's without lifting it. I want to get Nitto trail grappler 295/70/17 which are 33.3high and 11.6wide. The problem is I cant seem to get a definitive answer as to what kind of offset i need in the wheels. Can anybody tell me weather I need a positive or negative offset and how much of one I need to avoid any issues like rubbuing or hitting the control arm or inner fender?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its kind of a dead thread but I bought my Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70R18s and they look awesome. They have a 4k lbs rating load per tire so I kept everything I wanted and ended up with a taller and QUIETER tire. I got over 43k miles with those destinations so I was really impressed. Especially since I only rotated them a total of 4 times(They started to cup within the first 2 months I had the truck so I gave up). Anyway, I would recommend these tires to anyone. I have yet to try it in sloppy mud but they are very capable in the OK dirt.

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
Hi guy's,
New to this forum stuff. I was hoping someone could help me. I have a 2006 quad cab 2500 diesel 4x4. I want to put bigger tires on it cuz the stock 265/70/17 look like tricycle tires on it. I was told I could go with 33's without lifting it. I want to get Nitto trail grappler 295/70/17 which are 33.3high and 11.6wide. The problem is I cant seem to get a definitive answer as to what kind of offset i need in the wheels. Can anybody tell me weather I need a positive or negative offset and how much of one I need to avoid any issues like rubbuing or hitting the control arm or inner fender?
You should be fine with those tires on a stock wheel actually. I had 35x12.5x17s on a stock wheel and stock suspension but because of the width of the tire they rubbed on the control arm at full turn (not much)
I have 1.75" wheel adapters now and because of the added width they rubbed on the lower fender slightly at as you turned.
Now with a 2" leveling kit theres no rubbing.
I think you can go up to a 305 (about 12" wide) without rubbing.
Factory backspacing is 6" and a 5.5" offset will do work. Factory wheels are 7.5" wide and most aftermarket are 8.5"
I think I just kinda glanced around that but if you have any other specific questions just ask.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts