DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn with stock 20 inch wheels. Stock Goodyears are at 40k miles and about done. Thinking about going with a little meatier tire with better off road capability that is still good on the road and relatively quiet. I do frequently tow my 23' wake boat (~6000 lbs loaded) and a 20' enclosed car hauler with my show car (~7000 lbs loaded) so need something that can handle it.

Thinking about a set of BFG KO2's in a 285/60x20. A little taller and a little wider. Thoughts and suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are going to differ from factory tire spec, you may invalidate any warranty. You can heck here to see how size affects your mileage, https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/
On my 2011 RAM Sport Crew 4X4, the stock Wranglers sucked. I went to General UHP as they had great wet traction for S Fla roads but I had to go with an non spec size. It added about 7K to my odometer through the life of the tire.
Ive recently put Cooper Discoverer tires on and so far they are great. I tend to use a "summer tire" since I do not do much off road drivng. These are quiet, stable on corners and excellent wet traction.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The KO2's are a great tire. I went with them in the stock 270 60R 20's for the higher weight rating because I also tow a trailer around the 6000 lb mark and a 20 foot car hauler. The KO2's gave a more stable ride when towing but are quiet when driving on asphalt.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
55,000+ miles on my 275/60/20 KO2s that were put on in Jan 2015. Main reason I went with them was the D load range but the traction in everything I've driven them in is phenomenal

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tires are full of compromise. I used KOs for awhile on my 2006. They are a nice tire off road but are noisy on the highway and do not handle as well as others. I was very disappointed in their cold weather snow/ice traction. I eventually went to a highway Yokohama tire that wouldn't balance right and then to a Nitto highway tire on the truck and Blizzacks on the Jeep for snow/ice. The highway Nitto tire gave me better snow/ice traction than the KOs on the heavy truck up to a an inch or so, at which point I'd be driving the Jeep :)

If you do off road and don't mind the on road compromisses, the KOs, Nitto Terra grabbers, Falken wild peaks are some of the brands to look at, depending on the load rating you need..

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
KO2s are not KOs, the tread is different as is the siping. KO2s are snowflake rated, I don't think KOs were

·
Registered
937 Posts
KO2s are not KOs, the tread is different as is the siping. KO2s are snowflake rated, I don't think KOs were
Came to say the same thing. The KO2's are winter rated and have really good snow traction, they got me through a Canadian winter with zero issues.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No they were KO2s. I think when they first came out. The tires refused to move the truck, or perhaps I just expected better performance. The current stock goodyears are actually better in the snow for me, but everyone has a different driving situation. I have plenty of steep hills and windy roads to negotiate.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
KO2s didn't come out until late 2014-early 2015 depending on the size, so if it was 2006 they were KOs.

ETA: NVM you said on your 2006

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the input. Leaning heavily towards the KO2's in possibly a slightly taller tire (275/65R20)… dealer said they can reprogram it so the speedo and computer are accurate.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you are going to differ from factory tire spec, you may invalidate any warranty. You can heck here to see how size affects your mileage, https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/
On my 2011 RAM Sport Crew 4X4, the stock Wranglers sucked. I went to General UHP as they had great wet traction for S Fla roads but I had to go with an non spec size. It added about 7K to my odometer through the life of the tire.
Ive recently put Cooper Discoverer tires on and so far they are great. I tend to use a "summer tire" since I do not do much off road drivng. These are quiet, stable on corners and excellent wet traction.

Site one time this has happened and stuck. Dealers sell trucks with lifts/levels and larger tires straight off the show room floor.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
K02's are loud. I cant stand them. The sing like a freaking semi on the highway. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't tried the Firestone Destination A/T. Best all-around A/T tire on the market for a decade now.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
K02's are loud. I cant stand them. The sing like a freaking semi on the highway. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't tried the Firestone Destination A/T. Best all-around A/T tire on the market for a decade now.

Mine didn't get loud until they had over 50k on them. I still wouldn't call them loud

I will never buy Firestone tires. I may try Ridge Grapplers next

·
Registered
937 Posts
My firestones were ok, my KO2's are quiet and I know the difference, my Mickey Thompson Baha ATZ P3's were horribly loud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Site one time this has happened and stuck. Dealers sell trucks with lifts/levels and larger tires straight off the show room floor.
I said "may" not "will". Warranties cover specific builds, so to take a truck off the showroom floor that has been modified (lifted/larger wheels etc) the warranty is written or an addendum is added for that specific build.

My dealer would not calibrate my truck for the larger tire (295/55/20) stating it would invalidate my extended Mopar warranty. So I had to eat 7K miles before changing out the tires back to fac. spec

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I have ran all the tires mentioned thus far and here is my two cents:

KO2's - I am currently running the KO2's and I really like them. They ride nicer than the original KO's which I have also ran on an S-10 and traction is improved. Road noise is NOT noticable. My truck came with them so I didn't pay the price tag, if it was out of my pocket I go with something else, if you ain't paying they are fantastic in all respects. It our fathers tire, the original kick a*$ AT with a track record and I can vouch for them.

Nitto Terra grapplers - terrific on road tire with the AT look. I ran these on an LR3 and loved them. They were great off-road but a softer rubber and wore the quickest out of the ones I'm touching on. The new G2's are a very solid choice and lighter than some which you need to pay attention to unless you want to lose power with your new tires. Nitto is some of the best rubber out there so can't go wrong. Might want to look at the ridge grappler it's a hybrid.

Falken Wildpeaks AT - I had these on my Jeep Wrangler unlimited in a 33" x 13" wide. Off-road they were the best I have ever ran, maybe because my Jeep saw alot of offroad but I had those things in deep mud, slick trails, and snow and they never let me down hitting submerged stumps and rocks even. I had mine siped and I suggest you do the same. Made a world of difference as the stock configuration needed improving in the snow and wet road conditions but it's only $10 a tire, well worth it. They were very affordable at the time and wore very nicely, great life span. ONLY downside to these is they are HEAVY!!! Like almost 80lbs a freaking tire for 33's. Might be one of the heaviest AT out there but tough.

Synopsis: Depends on what you will be driving in mostly. I would go with the nittos personally. Best in the snow out of the three and you can get them in a load rating that lightens them up within tollerence to maintain power/economy. But if you don't mind the weight go with the falkens

Hope you find some rubber that suits your needs.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,608 Posts
I will never buy Firestone tires.
I hear ya, TH! I had problems with Firestones in the 70s, again in the late 80s. and finally several years ago, when I first started dating my wife. Got them off her car within 3 months of meeting her.

Dealership really screwed her over. They installed 3 of the same sized tire, and one a little taller. I wondered why there was a "clunking" noise coming from the front on her FWD car? Never heard it again after replacing all the tires!

NEVER again...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts