DODGE RAM FORUM banner

201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Help with Michlien Tire Options

I have a 2016 1500 Laramie 4x4, EcoDiesel Crew Cab, 6'4" Ram Box with 4 corner air suspension, Trailer tow package, 3.92 gears with a 7 1/2' Fisher Minute Mount 2 plow.
I also tow a car trailer or a dual axle enclosed 3 place motorcycle trailer occasionally. The truck get a mixture of in town and highway driving. No off-road driving.
With winter coming on here in Maine I need to purchase some tires that are more aggressive than the skimpy stock Goodyears.
I am looking at the Michlien LTX A/T 2 tires.
I am debating between the stock size, 275/60R20 in standard load range or 275/65R20 Load range E. I know the size is 1 inch taller with the 65 series tire.
First, I am curious if any is running these Michliens?
Second, if anyone one is running the 65 series tires?
If so, how are they wearing and how many miles are they lasting?
What effects have they had on fuel mileage?
Lastly, what about tire pressures in either and the TPMS using the higher pressures in the heavier load range tires?
Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could somone tell me the best setup to run?! I have a 2016 2500 6.4 hemi tradesmen. I really would love to run 35s. What all would I need to do? Just a level? Spacers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
285/65 R20 Will it Fit?

Hey Guys,

Was curious to know if I could fit 285/65 R20 tires on my ram. Have a 2015 1500 Crew Cab 4 x 4. Stock height, factory chrome clad wheels. Might level in the future. Just want something a little beefier than stock. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cooper ATP

Just replaced the stock 275/60R20 with Cooper Discoverer 275/65R20. I was skeptical going from an all-season tire to a all-terrain tire, but nothing to worry about here. So far the handling, traction, ride comfort and road noise are all comparable. There is a slight rub at full lockout in reverse, but not moving forward. Haven't had a chance for any off-road driving yet, but that will come this summer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just skimmed all 21 pages, and I don't think this has been answered...
I've got a 13 2500 with the oem 17x8 wheels. I want to run a 34" tall tire, or as close to it as I can get - I've found 285-75-17 to be 33.8x11.2 (about)

It sounds like I could run this with no lift or level without a problem - right?

When I see folks mention the Bilstein 5100s to level, (dumb question alert) - is that all that you have to do is replace the shocks? There has to be more to it than that, right?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just skimmed all 21 pages, and I don't think this has been answered...
I've got a 13 2500 with the oem 17x8 wheels. I want to run a 34" tall tire, or as close to it as I can get - I've found 285-75-17 to be 33.8x11.2 (about)

It sounds like I could run this with no lift or level without a problem - right?

When I see folks mention the Bilstein 5100s to level, (dumb question alert) - is that all that you have to do is replace the shocks? There has to be more to it than that, right?

Nope you just replace the shocks but first adjust them to ride height. This only works on the IFS trucks (independent front suspension) because the shocks are inside the coil. For you, you gotta go the other route with the springs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
2016 2500 6.4, 4.10 gears. Currently running305/55/20 on a 20x9 with a +12 offset. I want to step up to 35's but do not want to level truck. I tow a travel trailer and I would assume by leveling the truck, it will be more difficult to transfer weight to the front axle with the distribution bars since it would be ~2" taller up front. Can I run 35's with little to no rub without a level on the wheels listed?
Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
**My portion of this thread is going to be limited to what I know which is primarily the 20" tire sizes (and thereby the third gen and fourth gen trucks). If someone with knowledge of the stock 17" fitments, older trucks, or even aftermarket fitments wants to add, please do so....
I didn't want to quote the whole thing and clog up the board, but thanks for all the info! I have been trying to research new rims and this has really helped!

·
Registered
6 Posts
2017 2WD Tradesman 1500 w/o leveling kit:

What is the biggest tire I can run on 20" wheels?

If I go the leveling kit route...biggest tire on 20" wheels?

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I go the leveling kit route...biggest tire on 20" wheels?
I'd go that route. If you want to run big tires, I'd recommend you also invest in new wheels with a 0mm offset. That will pop them out from the axle and you'll be able to run something wider.

Speaking from no experience but my own, I'm running AT2 315/70R17 tires on wheels with a 0mm offset. Truck is a 2006 with a leveling kit. I only rub at full lock, going backward, and non-level ground.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
My first post on the forum.
So I'm doing level on my 1500... Bilsteins 5100 at 2.8" and 1" spacer at the rear.
For wheels and tires I went with SOTA SSD 17x8.5 -32 and BFG KO2 315x70r17
Do you guys think I'm gonna have issues with slight rubbing?

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Hi,
My first post on the forum.
So I'm doing level on my 1500... Bilsteins 5100 at 2.8" and 1" spacer at the rear.
For wheels and tires I went with SOTA SSD 17x8.5 -32 and BFG KO2 315x70r17
Do you guys think I'm gonna have issues with slight rubbing?
For turning it may be an issue. That is a lot of offset.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nope you just replace the shocks but first adjust them to ride height. This only works on the IFS trucks (independent front suspension) because the shocks are inside the coil. For you, you gotta go the other route with the springs.
I am in need of new tires. I wanted to see if Nitto Grappler G2 295/60's would work on my stock 20x9 wheels....but it doesn't look like they will, due to the 9" width.
I have been wanting to go with the Bilstein 5100's on the front, just to bring it level with the rear, but my concern has been excess wear and tear on the UCA's. Is it common to just add the struts and leave the factory control arms, or is it more common to replace the UCA's at the same time? TIA

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great information, i have the 20" X9 clad chrome wheels and i need help on tire quality and what size are member running on their stock wheels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great information, i have the 20" X9 clad chrome wheels and i need help on tire quality and what size are member running on their stock wheels.
I have the 20x9 chrome clad as well, and with 5100's set at 2.1 I was able to fit BFG KO2's in 295/65R20 on them with absolutely zero issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is great info. I have been trying to determine the stock offset on the 20" rims which I did not see you mention. I read a few places online that they are typically a +18mm offset. I have a 2017 Ram Sport 4x4, I added a leveling kit and put 325/60/20 BFG All Terrains on it. I have a squeak that has been driving me crazy as I can't recreate it in my driveway. Well I took it to the dealer and they said my tire is rubbing the upper control arm. I bought 1-1/4" hub centric spacers for a quick fix and Rough Country 2.5" fender flares since they will stick out past the fenders now but I am looking at a 20x10 -24mm offset rims. Not sure if I need to go with the -24 offset or if the -12mm offset would be enough. Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I also came across the following website that gives the stock offset for the rims as well.
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/ram/1500/2017/#trim-57i-usdm-389

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just put the BFG KO2s (275 65 R20) on my 2014. Stock 20" sport rims and stock suspension and they fit great with no issues. Level not needed but I plan to add for the level look..

201 - 220 of 228 Posts