DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal. I have a 2003 1500 with the 4.7 and just blew it. it has held up great for the last 170 thousand miles, but now that its an old motor for me and is finally blown i want to swap to something a little more fun. :Wow1: im just curious as to what y'all think i should put in it. But i still need to use it as my daily driver. I think my last resort will be a Hemi. But don't get me wrong i love the Hemi but i was thinking of something for fun. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'd try to swap in a later 2008+ 4.7L. Do the heads while it's out. You could pretty easily get 400hp with just head work, tune, intake, exhaust...maybe would need aftermarket cams. None available yet but we are working on that :)

If you're going through the trouble of a swap though, you might as well go all out, get the hemi IMO. Bolts up to the same trans...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Something I've seen done, and it is alot more work but could be worth it, is done more with a few 2nd gen. dodge 1500's, jeep wranglers, dakotas, and even a few s-10s was the 4bt cummins swap you can get good torque and power out of them stock. you will have about the same hp as the later model 4.7 with closer to the 400's in torque. its a harder swap to do but you will get better mileage then any gas powered 1500 and with a little work that engine can pump out power.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I'd try to swap in a later 2008+ 4.7L. Do the heads while it's out. You could pretty easily get 400hp with just head work, tune, intake, exhaust...maybe would need aftermarket cams. None available yet but we are working on that :)

If you're going through the trouble of a swap though, you might as well go all out, get the hemi IMO. Bolts up to the same trans...
Don't think he can just drop in the 08+, different tooth crank wheel and dual plug heads. Would require some modifications.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^yeah but no harder than any other swap. Will bolt to the same transmission. Same engine mounts. Just grab the original pcm and all....sounds easy...lol

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
well it's easier than just about any other swap. It will drop right in the only thing is you need the newer harness and pcm. And then that may not communicate well with the body module, etc.

But as far as the engine physically, it should be a very easy swap, almost no different parts, if any. The pcm is the only hang up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmm... That would be something great for some of the vendors to do. Put together eveything that is needed for a 2008+ 4.7 H/O engine swap to a 2002-2007 ram 1500. Kinda like a kit of sort and a reprogram ECM that would communicate with the 2002-2007 body module.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How about the H/O 4.7 engine from the 2002-2004 grand cherokee overland and simillar.
Is it possible to swap this engine into the 2002-2007 ram 1500?
I don't think this engine uses 2 spark plugs per cylinder. So wouldn't it be easier to swap?

Just a thought. Since the cams from the h/o 4.7L 2002-2004 grand cherokee special editions are an upgrade for the standar 4.7L 02-07 ram 1500 cams, is it possible to also swap the cylinder heads from HO 4.7L grand cherokees to the standar 4.7 engine??

·
Registered
306 Posts
super ram yes it will swap over and it is an all forged motor which is what makes it an ideal starter to add power to or forced induction

1 - 11 of 11 Posts