DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2016 1500 and I am hearing Rams wear out tires quick. Is there something to this?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
If you have a decent NTB store near you, you can buy a 3 or 5 year alignment.
Then you can have the front end aligned or at least checked every year AND it includes tire rotations every 6 months or 6000 miles (I think - miles).

I did go this route, mainly to check the alignment as there has been reports of a few vehicles not being aligned perfectly from the factory - also we have potholes in the roads, so the alignment can get knocked out with a good hit.
The tire rotations were the big seller for me though, I just don't have 2 big jacks that can lift the truck.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
What about Rams is unique compared to other trucks that would cause them to wear out tires quickly? Nothing.

The front suspension setup is entirely conventional and the rear axle is just a live axle so the fact its coil sprung doesn't impact how tires wear

·
Registered
255 Posts
My tires wear out quickly due to IMO a combination of tire manufacturer and the extreme heat here. Goodyear's don't last at all and I believe the nutty hot asphalt temps soften the tire to exacerbate the problem. Except for my current tires on the Ram, I have never had tires last more than 30k miles, 15k for Badyear's. And that's on any of my vehicles not just the Ram. However, the Bridgestone Alenza's I have now are doing better then any tire I've owned. I'm at 32k on them and still have plenty of tread. So needless to say, I'll be sticking with them. I got an alignment under warranty when new since the steering wheel was a bit off center when I bought it. There has been no uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
speaking of tires and alignment is there a different one for large tires? I have 35 12.50 20'S and was told (by someone that does'nt even have a truck) that there was

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I run Michelin Light Truck tires on my Rams
On the tire rotations i make sure that the tires are rotated in one of the X patterns

On my last set, i had close to 70,000 miles on them
I do a lot of desert driving, summer heat is not even here yet & it was 109°F in Yuma at Noon just last week.

no sand buggies are playing in the dunes, they won't be back until at least late September

·
Registered
318 Posts
What you may have heard is a variation of the myth or truth that the stock Goodyear's wear quickly/prematurely.

Personally that has not been my experience. Dont do a ton of burnouts, rotate on a normal schedule, and if you are really worried about it $50-75 for a alignment once a year isn't much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
With a 1500 you're probably ok. My 2500 CTD goes through soft tires quickly. Only got 14,000 out of a set of KO2s. Great tires but the tire dealer said they were soft tires and the HD trucks eat them up due to the truck's weight.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
With a 1500 you're probably ok. My 2500 CTD goes through soft tires quickly. Only got 14,000 out of a set of KO2s. Great tires but the tire dealer said they were soft tires and the HD trucks eat them up due to the truck's weight.
Yeah, I've had great service out of my KO2s on my 1500-52,000 miles and counting-which includes a decent amount of towing and hauling (probably more than the average personally owned half ton). My buddy had them on his 04 Titan and liked them so much they were one of the first mods he made to his 2009 2500 Cummins-didn't even get 30,000 out of them (and may have been less than that-I don't remember). The extra weight of the heavy duty trucks really makes a difference-especially with the added 1000 lbs on the front axle that the diesels have compared to the Hemis.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mr. Late to the Game here. My factory Goodyear stockers did so well i replaced them at 50k+ with the same ones. My miles are mostly highway commuting in So. Cal where apparently the roads are made of rainbows and pillows. I also tow a 7.5k trailer a couple times a year.

No complaints with the stockers here. Great all weather and quiet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have experienced uneven wear on my truck. I did a lot of research and found the front alignment settings are a bit strange and i do not understand the reason for it. The camber setting for the left front is +1 and for the right front is -1. This in my opinion results in excessive wear on the outside of the front left tire. I tried to change the setting but on my truck it is physically impossible without a modification to get it the same as the right front. I had it set as close as possible to what I deemed it needs to be and make regular rotations. I also turned the tires on the rims so the worn sections are on the inside of the tires. This made a huge improvement and hopefully will make my tires last much longer and with less noise due to the uneven wear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took my stock wranglers off within 2k miles of buying the truck (10k miles). They had a terrible shake above 70 that they couldn't balance out. Bought some nitto 420s in 305 wide and I love them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Im around 37K on my stock tires, rotate every 6K give our take, and I need a new set. Don't do much towing either.
My last truck was the around the same when I needed to replace them.
I know i'm late on the post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts