DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and I'm first trying to find some unbiased advice about 2nd hand trucks.

I'm looking to buy a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Longhorn Edition 5.7L HEMI from a friend of a friend. It occurred to me that before I lay down some serious cash for this, I need to find out if it's a good purchase.

From the second I saw the car it looked amazing which meant for the entire test drive I was really bias and in favour of it. Now straight away, I'll admit I've never bought a truck this big before, so everything is new to me. What made it worse, is the car is being offered to me at a great price (compared to other similar trucks in the region).

It has a few minor defects that I can sort (wind screen chips and a cracks tail light) but the issue I'm most worried about it the miles on the clock. It's currently got 198000 miles which to me seems loads but I'm assured this is medium to low for a truck of this size.

I guess my question is what sort of life span can you expect from this machine? I know this is a tough question as we don't know the care it's had, but I'm assured it's had all it's servicing and work done at a dodge garage, but there is no service history to check, only receipts of the work done!

I'm told the car was imported into the UAE a few years back where a Texas man used it for a while before returning to the US without it. My friend got the car about 2 years ago and has since put it up to 198000. I assume as it's a monster, it'll go twice that of your average car.

If anyone has any familiarity with this year or these trucks in general, I'd really appreciate an unbiased opinion about my situation and whether you think I should go for it or not.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Reedy

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Hi Reedy, and welcome to the Ram ForumZ. I invite you to stop by the Newbie Checkin section and introduce yourself so other members can give you a proper howdoyado.

One very important bit of info we need to make an informed decision is the asking price. 200K miles is a lot on a lot on a Hemi, but as long as it was well maintained, I don't see why you couldn't get another 100k out of it. You are taking a risk, so asking price is very important.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your reply. I know I'm taking a bit of a risk, but the price seems reasonable for the area I'm in and I've had a local garage give it a full check up and it's come back all clear.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Awesome! Let us know if you get it and then show it off with a pic or two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
bought mine with 330,000 miles with a new motor/tranny, put new front end, steering box, u-joints, brakes, tires, and just drove 2k for a trip. Powerful! Love the RAM!

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is always a risk in buying a vehicle with high mileage, but with that being said I bought my 2007 RAM with 259,000 miles. Only one original owner. It has the original transmission and engine.

Everything works fine and runs like it's new.

I've got about 264,000 on it now.

Also, if you are able to obtain the VIN number you may be able to get service records for the truck, if it was serviced at a dealer. That is what I did for my truck (Original owner bought and serviced the truck at the same dealer).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts