DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on what is the best choice. Any repair will get a lot of sun exposure and be subjected to many rough, farm trail roads. I'm not sure how well a dent repair and paint blend will hold up. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Three things come to mind,
1. If they repaired it they would probably just repaint the whole things instead of blending.
2. What is the cost difference between repair and replacement?
3. Insurance/Deductable?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I think that he likely has $500 deductible policy

That is about what a new unpainted tailgate costs

The hardware in the damaged tailgate would have to be used in the new tailgate
The hardware does not come with the new tailgate

Then the new tailgate has to be prepped & painted & possibly a new plastic spoiler

I damaged a tailgate a few years back & i had to get it replaced
I didn't want to put such a small claim through my insurance, so i paid a body shop cash money, they lowered the price a bit for that

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Thoughts on what is the best choice. Any repair will get a lot of sun exposure and be subjected to many rough, farm trail roads. I'm not sure how well a dent repair and paint blend will hold up. Thanks.
I got one of them too...lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will update you as soon as I have prices in the case anyone else is in a similar situation. I am glad I'm a member of this forum or I wouldn't have thought about pointing out that this tailgate doesn't have the ram logo, but rather RAM. Intentions matter.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
You would be better off in the long run replacing the tailgate. I'm not sure if a body shop would bother trying to repair instead of replacing it.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I was just showing a tailgate right out of the Mopar Box & that it does not have any hardware in it

Maybe there is a Auto Salvage Yard in your area that has a tailgate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$700 to fix dent, blend paint, and then reclear the entire tailgate. $1300 for new tailgate, paint, and hardware transfer. I'm leaning toward new since the pickup is only 4 months old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts