DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday morning of this week around 4am, I will embark on a road trip that I have had planned for a while now from Maryland to Florida and back (over a week and half's time). Heading down to see some family that live in Florida, as well as going to the Jaguars game on Sunday (they're playing my beloved Ravens!). I'm excited for this trip and to take my truck on its first relatively long road trip. I'm really hoping to see that EVIC display 23mpg, I've seen 22.5 on smaller road trips.

What I'm NOT excited about is seeing these nightly news stories about this Alabama pipeline break which has lead to state of emergencies for VA, NC, and maybe others in regards to a fuel shortage crisis and a spike in fuel prices. Fuel in my area of MD has gone up $0.20 in just a weeks time. I can deal with the spike in fuel prices, it sucks, but I'll just adjust my vacation budget and drink light beer or something :LOL:. What I can't deal with is not being able to fuel my truck on the way down. Hoping it won't come to that, so I was just curious if any members in NC, SC, GA could let me know how things are at the pumps down there which are right off I-95. I'm a bit of a doomsday prep'r at times, so worst case I can just put a couple of my 5 gallon gas cans in the bed just for insurance.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Is that whygas was so expensive in Atlanta? Last weekend I was able to drive from the coast of NC to San Antonio, 1491 miles, for about $240. And that was getting bad mileage because I was going 85 most of the way

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
don't worry down here- even with the gas hike, it will still be like a super special discount to your wallet. right now ~$2.20 in average.
and down here- we care more about Clemson, FSU, GT, Georgia, Alabama than for some NFL hoedoes who has a weakness attack surprisingly right in the moment the Anthem plays and they have to kneel down. In the south we only go on our knees, when we have to pick dropped ammunition up - lol

have a safe trip!!!

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don't worry down here- even with the gas hike, it will still be like a super special discount to your wallet. right now ~$2.20 in average.
and down here- we care more about Clemson, FSU, GT, Georgia, Alabama than for some NFL hoedoes who has a weakness attack surprisingly right in the moment the Anthem plays and they have to kneel down. In the south we only go on our knees, when we have to pick dropped ammunition up - lol

have a safe trip!!!

Great, glad to hear that and thanks for checking in. Hopefully it stays that way!

It is interesting how college ball seems to be much more popular down south. And I completely agree with you on all this kneeling BS. Total disgrace and not the place or platform for those guys to be doing that. I wish they'd get cut or the NFL would put a rule in place where it was not tolerated. Eh well, I won't turn my gas griping thread into a political thread.

Thanks again for the feedback, still looking forward to my trip!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
To answer your question. Down here in the Fayetteville area there are stations beginning to run out/ration. plan ahead or call ahead for your fuel stops.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer your question. Down here in the Fayetteville area there are stations beginning to run out/ration. plan ahead or call ahead for your fuel stops.

Aarrghh, sorry to hear that and thanks for the heads up! That is exactly what I was worried about. At least this is just a short term problem for you guys down there. Hang in there.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I'll remember that on my way back through

·
Registered
163 Posts
Supposedly the pipeline will be back up and running today. Gas is around 2.15 a gallon in the southern part of GA. Only outages I have heard of is Atlanta, and it was supposedly due to people panicking and filling up jugs and topping off cars every day. I have a friend that delivers gas, and he has the storages he picks up from are out, they are getting gas from further out, Alabama I think.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Supposedly the pipeline will be back up and running today. Gas is around 2.15 a gallon in the southern part of GA. Only outages I have heard of is Atlanta, and it was supposedly due to people panicking and filling up jugs and topping off cars every day. I have a friend that delivers gas, and he has the storages he picks up from are out, they are getting gas from further out, Alabama I think.

Thanks for the update, KingTuna. $2.15 is a deal! It's has gone from $2.09 this time last week to $2.30 today up here in MD, crazy! I'm glad to hear there aren't many empty gas stations. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for my trip, can't wait.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Good, the girl who is watching our dogs said there were a couple gas stations that were out

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the update, KingTuna. $2.15 is a deal! It's has gone from $2.09 this time last week to $2.30 today up here in MD, crazy! I'm glad to hear there aren't many empty gas stations. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for my trip, can't wait.
Good deal, drive safe man. You still might want to keep 5 or so gallons in the back just for good measure. It' still hot as hell down here too.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I left at 4am as scheduled, filled up in MD and headed south on 95. I ended up stopping for my first and ONLY gas stop in Florence, SC. In true ironic fashion, the BP gas station I stopped at was rationing gas. I could only get $20 worth of 87 octane. A bit panicked, but not overly worried (I had 5 gallons in the bed and 1/4 of a tank) I looked across the street at a Pilot station. Even though it wasn't a tier 1 gas like I usually would put in my tank, beggars can't be choosers, so I filled er' up.

What an awesome drive. First long road trip in my truck. I had hopes of 23 mpg, but wow people drive fast on 95!. I was initially setting my cruise control at 70-75mph and was getting blown away on the highway. To the point where I felt my "slow" speed was almost unsafe. People flying up on me to pass, etc. So I left the Hemi rip halfway through the trip. Cruising at 75-80 and STILL averaged 21.6mpg overall according to the EVIC. Too lazy to do the proper math, accepting the fact that the EVIC is a close enough assessment. It was just me in the truck with about 200-250lbs of tailgating gear in the bed (oh and that 5 gallons of extra gas).

Thanks to all who posted in this thread to give me an idea of what was going on due to the Alabama pipeline break.

To the mods: I'm not sure why this was moved to the mid-atlantic forum. I suppose it was due to my thread title, but in fact the cause of this thread happened in Alabama. Had this thread not originated in GD, I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten the amount of responses and exposure.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Yeah not gonna lie when I was on 95 between Lumberton and Florence before getting on 20 I was going around 85. I got 19.5 or so and pretty happy with that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts