DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 dodge ram 1500 and I am looking to get a tonneau cover. I like a nice slick look. I need help picking which one, there are so many and I am not sure which to get. If anyone has any input on what kind they got or what you recommend from where please let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i purchased a soft folding cover, it was easy to install,folds up to expose almost all of the bed in 30 seconds, comes totally off to give you full access to your bed in about a minute, and unlike many soft covers it can come off and go back on in the cold. i had a soft snap cover that lasted over 7 years with my last truck, i loved it (extang) but in the cold it was a nightmare to re snap because of shrinkage . the solid covers are nice and are secure , but if you are going to use the whole bed they have to come off, and the ones i looked at were complex to take off. dont get me wrong there nice, just giving some insight on a few of them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
need more info like...is security a concern? full access to bed on a regular basis? partial access? lots of things to consider. Do you want to be able to open your tailgate without opening the tonneau? Do you want to be able to open the tonneau without opening your tailgate? etc etc etc and I think etc

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine is a folding type....

When I bought the truck, '02 1500, the cover was on it already. I really like the unit. lockable and secure, but, neatly folds up when the bed is needed. Mine is the 4 section hard cover... I think it was an option from the dealer.

Goatman

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 2002 1500 and a 2012. Last week I put a roll up cover that someone gave me on the '02 and today I put a Bakflip G2 on the '12. As far as ease of use and security is concerned, the Bakflip certainly seems like it will be alot easier to access and will be better at stopping a "crime of opportunity" but at $650.00 or so it is quite a bit more expensive than the soft covers. I personally think they both look good and are both low profile so they don't take away from the looks of the truck. If you want, I can take a couple of pictures of both trucks tomorrow for you so you can see the difference

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I would like to see pictures other than the advertisements if you don't mind

On another note, I just watched the video about your son. I cannot imagine the sadness and pride you feel for your boy. I am so sorry for your loss and thankful for Heros like Jordan.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts regarding my son....

Here are some photo's of the two covers.

Bakflip on my '12

Roll up on my '02

Gratuitous Shot of my Tundra

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Wow the backflip looks pretty darn good! I guess Ill have to start shopping around and saving :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am going want to be able to put down my tailgate with the cover still on, and I will like a cover that I can use the full bed when I need to and then otherwise whatever amount I need. I don't use full bed yet for anything I can say that but I know down road I may.

·
Registered
28 Posts
G2

Firstly to Axeman. I am completely moved by your Son's valour. Truly a hero. I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the pics. I have been planning on the G2. and other than the F1 or HD, I wondered if there's any comparable
products from other manufactures worth considering before I plunk down the cash. I like the hard surface, multi fold design
and that it's secure. Does it sit upright securely without contacting the cab when folded fully forward?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts