DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any REAL world fuel mileage increases after installing a tonneau cover on a crew cab? Also does anyone have any experience with the Tri-Fold cover? I rarely keep anything in my bed so its not about security but mostly mileage/keeping things dry.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Don't buy a cover for gas mileage. The gains in mpg from a cover are minimal (somewhere in the .2-.5 range). I got one because I prefer the clean look and because I like to keep whatever I put in the bed dry and out of sight. I put one on my V10 2500 and drove from CA to FL with it and saw little, if any, mpg improvement. As the Mythbusters proved, the air goes over the cab and barely touches the bed enough to cause any real drag.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I remember someone telling me a couple of years ago that there was a study done on truck gas mileage with different bed covers and even with no cover and the tailgate up or down. The outcome was the best gas mileage came with no cover and tailgate up.

I'll do some digging and see if I can find it.

edit: I was wrong. All the articles i can find with a quick google say it does improve gas mileage but only by 1mpg at the most. Probably not a mod for economic reasons, more for looks and security.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I've checked mine with tonneau open/closed on the last 3 trucks and can say with certainty it makes no difference. A 5mph wind makes a bigger difference, and we all know how little difference that is. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was fortunate to get a hard cover from snugtop and honestly it looks great (when I clean the truck) but I would think the weight of it + hinges+metal sheet would counteract anything productive. I also second tailgate up and no cover for most efficent, it was on mythbusters~

·
Registered
5 Posts
A flat cover is somewhat effective, to really see gains the cover would have to be angled downward. I believe a 15 degree slope is the ideal amount. In the economodding world it's referred to as a Kammaback. (like the back slope on a Prius) I would like to state also that the mythbuster claim was inaccurate. They showed that a vortex was created and that air traveled over it....well
it takes drag to cause that vortex. Now the tailgate up is more efficient than it is down with no cover, because the tailgate lying flat causes turbulence behind the truck. The factory just simply found a way to uses turbulence to cause that vortex reducing the coefficient of drag. The added weight will effect your mileage in town on stop and go, but on the highway aerodynamics have a greater effect than weight. If you go to ecomodder.com you'll see people making aero parts out of plywood and what not.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
My '09 came without a lockable tailgate, so my tailgate could be opened, the tail lights removed & the tailgate removed. It happened often back then. the lock stopped that..

I carry many loose tools, mostly traffic control devices & gas containers in the bed, i am a believer in the old saying, out of site, out of mind

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Checking this post today, reminded me of something

I had an appt. this morning to get a new soft tonneau cover constructed & installed !!!
I forgot about it, they are normally closed on Saturday, so the guy was doing me a favor
I'm SCREWED, he won't be a happy camper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts