DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tonneau covers are you guys running on? I’m wanting to get one that will help keep water out, the reason we NEED one (at least that’s what I’m telling my wife) is to throw the luggage back there when we go on vacation and not worry about it flying out or getting wet

·
Registered
471 Posts
tell the wife I recommend an undercover brand if she wants a hard cover. they are way lighter than the fiberglass ones and can be removed by two people fairly easily.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have the Undercover Classic myself. It keeps water out completely. Its also very secure as I have been using them for the past 8 years and have never had anything stolen. I would also highly consider a Retrax if money were no option since it will collapse out of the way which is a damn sight easier than removing it.

·
Super Moderator
5,906 Posts
I am searching the internet for a tonneau covers this weekend, too. Thinking about the Retrax ONE MX, but not sure if I want to spend $1360? Kind of steep, ya know? But, the reviews are pretty good. I also know a couple of people that have them, and they like them. Still up in the air on it...

Tonneau covers are like door locks, they only keep honest people honest as they pass by your truck. The stronger they are, the more chance it'll keep someone out of the bed if you have something back there.

BTW - You can tell the wife it makes for a pretty decent sized trunk!

·
Registered
986 Posts
One of my friends has one on a 2014 Silverado and I just love it. (the cover definitely not the truck)Like you said though it cost like $1400. I paid around $800 for mine last year. I bought the first one through Amazon for a lot less but it came all scratched up and I had to send it back. Its just so much more convenient sliding it back out of the way to haul big stuff in the bed. Tred if you do end up ordering one from off the internet good luck with having it delivered in one piece and not scratched all to hell!

·
Super Moderator
5,906 Posts
Tred if you do end up ordering one from off the internet good luck with having it delivered in one piece and not scratched all to hell!
Thanx tidefan1967. I was reading through the installation PDF last night and noted the fact it states, "Do not throw away the shipping box until after the install." Our usual UPS driver is a small petite female, and I am wondering if she'll just drag it to the porch and drop it? LOL We'll see...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Truxedo Lo Pro - love it because I can roll it up in an instance if need be.

Well worth the money.
That’s one I’ve been looking at. Money isn’t a huge issue but convincing her would be a lot easier if it wasn’t $1800 like the Retrax

·
Registered
360 Posts
What tonneau covers are you guys running on? I’m wanting to get one that will help keep water out, the reason we NEED one (at least that’s what I’m telling my wife) is to throw the luggage back there when we go on vacation and not worry about it flying out or getting wet
Depending on what else gets hauled in the bed of the truck and assuming that your luggage comes into where ever you stay while vacationing, my suggestion would be a roll-up style tonneau cover. While very secure and usually nicer looking, the one piece hard covers severely limit what you can carry with the cover closed (and I'm not so sure it's advisable to drive with them in the open position). The ones with the hard sections that fold take up usable space too. I like the concept of the retractable ones but don't see myself putting over $1000 out for one. (There's NO reason I could possibly give my wife to get her to see the value in THAT!)
I have a LUND Genesis roll-up that has served me well for nearly three years. I paid less than $300 from Amazon. I've never had a serious water issue but torrential rain storms have allowed some water to get into the bed. Again, nothing serious. Security is always a concern with the soft tonneau covers. Unless the thief knows what you have in the bed tho, it's an "out of sight, out of mind" situation. I pretty much don't keep any high value items back there and avoid leaving the truck unattended in "sketchy" areas. (Not always easy to do). Anyway, that's my two cents.
RipVan

·
Registered
986 Posts
I agree no water intrusion with the Undercovers. Mine went through Matthew year before last and a touch of Irma last year not to mention the occasional car wash and I haven't had any water issues. I have been told that the Retrax would allow a tiny bit of water in under harsh conditions but not enough to be a problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My MOPAR hard folding cover has been through three hard northern winters and still doesn't leak. Its been the most weatherproof cover I've owned and I've owned many over 50+ years, except for the one piece style. One piece are far too heavy or awkward on those occasions when I need to haul something. If you are not going to haul anything tall or can deal with taking them off and have someplace to store them without damage, they may suit you just fine.

The fine print is that no cover is guaranteed to be waterproof, and none are completely waterproof in all installations. Car washes typically will get water past most. My MOPAR cover does keep car wash water out.

·
Super Moderator
5,906 Posts
(There's NO reason I could possibly give my wife to get her to see the value in THAT!)RipVan
Funny thing is, my wife is the one urging me to buy the Retrax.

·
Super Moderator
34,447 Posts
Funny thing is, my wife is the one urging me to buy the Retrax.
Don't stop and think about it, just do it.

I called my wife a few weeks ago to ask if it was OK to buy a new riflescope. She was hanging out with her friends and didn't seem to want to be bothered so she said "go ahead and get it" (she never asked how much). Later when she checked the bank account and called me about it I reminded her what she said and *poof* she didn't argue any more :LOL:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've got the Retrax One MX and love it. I've got the bedrug on the interior and the Retrax keeps the bedrug nice and dry.

With the MX the finish is matte black. If you want gloss you just order the regular Retrax One.

I believe we all need the tailgate seals with the Rams because the tailgates on these trucks are real gappy. I found that the Extang Maxseal Tailgate seal works well and is priced right.
https://www.amazon.com/Extang-1140-MaxSeal/dp/B000CN5QG8

·
Super Moderator
5,906 Posts
I got the Bak Revolver X2
However it's a bit tough to use in the winter at times:
Man, at -6* everything is hard to move, even me! :LOL:

I thinking of going with the matte finish, I don't care for the SHINNY look.

BTW - I not the one who minds spending money, as my wife can squeeze a penny so hard, as to make Lincoln cry, but for that price... Geeze!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts