DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuxedo Truxport or Lund Genesis. I am looking at purchasing a tonnes cover and I am having a hard time making a decision. Has anyone purchased either one of these and if so, what do you think? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you got the extra cash the Leer 700 is pretty nice. There's a nice Mopar one that's similar in price as well, but I couldn't find it when I was looking last summer.

The fiberglass ones get pretty expensive though, with painting/shipping etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a ReTrax. On previous trucks I have had fiberglass covers and loved the security and being able to keep stuff dry. However, they are a PIA when you need to carry large items that go above the bed rails. With this ReTrax I can have almost all of the bed open or I can have it closed and locked. To me it is the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Boy, I like that fiberglass tonneau. Was it $1500 like the Mopar one?
Yeah, it was $1575 painted, shipped, and installed. Canadian though, so will likely be a bit cheaper if you're in the US.

Personally I like the look of the Mopar one way more than mine, but oh well.

And as the guy above said, they aren't really handy if you transport stuff that require space above the top of the box. I don't really do anything like that. It's basically just a big pretty toy for me, something that won't get stuck in the winter so I don't have to worry about taking it off ever.

But being able to lock stuff in the box is nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If your going to get the Truxedo roll up cover I recommend the Lo-Pro QT.. I have it and its very nice looks clean very low profile to the side of the bed:smileup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got the Truxedo Lo Pro QT and looks good. Only 3/4" above the bedrail and installs in minutes. Works really well, even in cold weather. See them online for $487. Installed on a 2011 QC Sport 6.5' box.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What about the hard cover ones that fold in 3 sections? any recommendations? With the locking tailgate I don't see much point in getting a soft cover. And i need to break down and get one soon! Has anyone seen a difference in gas mileage?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the truxedo and love it.. found it real cheep so that was a plus.. got it for under 300, easy to install and have had no leaks...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Before you buy anything, check out extang.com. I bought mine online and installs in minutes.. no drilling and it's real strong and folds....I checked out everything out there and glad I got extang....see the video on their site!
Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover

·
Registered
307 Posts
Another soft folding tonneau you could consider is the TonnoPro. I've had one now for about 4 months and really like it. No leaks, looks as good as the one pictured in this thread. I needed something that could fold back to carry tall objects, and one I didn't need help to completely remove.

It uses a pair of thumbscrew aluminum clamps at the front of the bed, and a plastic flip to lock pair back by the tailgate.

Gas mileage difference? Not a bit. Don't let any company fool you into thinking a cover will make any difference in gas mileage. Any difference you may see is due to a change in your driving style than any modification like a tonneau cover.

$279 at Amazon.com.

Darin

·
Registered
754 Posts
I bought the Extang Signature Series which is a cloth ( Sunbrealla Canvas) cover that folds into three sections. it looks good with my RamBox and the canvas looking better than the vinyl IMO.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ok let me try to help you out i say try cause most dont listen buy what they want and realize then they should listen to folkes that had the same ones .

OK SOFT TOPS
Pros
Look good come off and on easy
Cons
Will fade in about a year
Can be cut or broke into very easy
Yo cant put any weight on them they will crush ( heavy snow)
Snaps rust and give out
Velcro losses its hold after about a year

Hard fiberglass tops
Pros
Can be painted to matcH truck
Can be locked

Cons
Are very expensive
If you need to haul something taller then bed you have to remove it
Can be scratched or cracked

Fold up tri covers
Pros
Perfect seal from weather
If your tailgate has a lock then the top locks
Can hold up to 500 lpds
When folded up you lose only 4.75 inches of bed space
When folded flat cant even see it looks stream line

Cons
Pricey thats about it

There you go taken from years of exp hope it helps

·
Registered
307 Posts
Probably getting a bit off topic here, but any concern about fading vinyl can be alleviated by using a product like 303 Protectant. It doesn't contain any silicone like Armor All and won't damage the vinyl. Gives it a deep black color and lasts thru several car washes.

I use the stuff on all the exterior and interior plastics in my truck.

Darin

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I have the bakflip g2 and love it, folds up when i need the bed and cannot be opened when the tailgate is locked

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have had the Extang Trifecta since about a week after I got my Ram home. No fading yet. It's secure (but obviously could be cut open) with the locking tailgate and can be used partially open or removed/replaced by one person in a matter of minutes with no tools. Best $350 I have spent on the truck. :smileup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts