DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only around 12k on the 5.7, so im wondering if seafoam in the vacuum is a little too soon. what do you all think?

i already use an entire seafoam can in the fuel tank every oil change (as part of regular fuel system maintenance), but i realize that using it in the induction system is not necessary that often

now, i also have a direct injection turbo car, which requires the induction system cleaning more often than ported fuel injection. so im wondering if maybe it's a little too soon for the truck. has anyone else used seafoam through their induction system yet on their 2010 and gotten good results? ie, lots of smoke from the carbon being cleared out

i tried being very specific looking for a 2010 hemi doing a sefoam treatment by way of google, but found nothing

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. I know youve been here a while without an intro so how about using the link in my SIG to jump to the Newbie Checkin and introduce yourself andposting a few photos of your truck?

I haven't used Seafoam on my truck yet. I think that I've read of members here using it like you want to - go for it.
:Hey:

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
hello and welcome, i think it would be a little soon

·
Registered
286 Posts
Seafoam is an additive that a lot of people, mostly old timers, swear by. It's in the same line as Mystery Oil. Has a lot of benefits for older or high mileage engines. Personally don't see the need in using it anytime before 75k miles, but that's just my opinion. Supposedly cleans fuel injectors, combustion chambers, intake manifolds and a host of other things.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
It won't hurt anything, but like said above it isn't needed yet. It's main purpose is to clean carbon buildup and gunk. I use it in my vehicles every 10k miles or so starting somewhere between 50k and 100k miles.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Seafoam is an additive that a lot of people, mostly old timers, swear by. It's in the same line as Mystery Oil. Has a lot of benefits for older or high mileage engines. Personally don't see the need in using it anytime before 75k miles, but that's just my opinion. Supposedly cleans fuel injectors, combustion chambers, intake manifolds and a host of other things.
Hmmmmmm ive never heard of it. Sounds interesting but I'm not sure I would use it. Thanks for the info!

·
Banned
885 Posts
I just recently put about 3/4 of it in my gas tank and the other 1/4 down the tb throat. In the official video it showed the car had excessive smoke..mine didnt do that...is that bad?

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
that's good, it means there wasn't anything to burn off and clean, your motor is generally clean from carbon buildup and gunk (at least where you poured it)

·
Banned
885 Posts
oh well sweet :D I was going to put it in one of the vacumm lines but I wasnt sure which line to put it in. Also was in a hurry at the time..gf was waiting on me haha

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
even though it didnt smoke it might once you open it up on the road. First time I used it on my 100k mile s10 it smoked like crazy idling. First time I helped my friend use it on his camaro with lower mileage it didn't hardly smoke at all, but then he took it out and floored it and I was behind him and the smoke block my vision from the road I had to slam on the brakes kinda scary lol.

·
Banned
885 Posts
oh haha well Iv drove it about 40 miles since the seafoam and still havnt seen anything lol so hopefully it stays that way and yeah that does sound scary lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have played with seafoam in the past. I have the best results when I suck it slowly thru the vacuum lines for the intake manifold. Once you suck half a can or so, you turn off the vehicle. Let it sit for 1-2 hours. Upon restart, you will smoke screen your entire subdivision. I have taken half a can, sucked it thru the intake. Then waited 10-15min, with zero results. Taken the other half of the can, sucked it thru the intake and waited an hour with drastic differences. The differences being white smoke from the tailpipe, 8-10 miles down the road(60min wait) compared to zero white smoke from the tailpipe before leaving the subdivision(10-15min wait).
With a 60min wait, I was getting worried I screwed something up with the amount of white smoke from the tailpipe at idle at a stop light 5 miles from my house. But, continued driving cleared up the white smoke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts