DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, not possible but here's my problem. Truck is a 84 w250. It has a 360 heavily modified from the oil pan up. ~8" lift, 38in baja claws. I can not keep a rear drive shaft in this thing. Today, for the second time, I sheared off 2 of 4 grade-8 bolts on the rear u-joint straps. The first time i did it, I was doing a burnout, so its understandable. After working on it today i took it for a test drive, maybe 1 mile, was going up a hill, eased into the pedal and booom....clink clink clink as it drug the ground. Had to be pulled home by a damn chevy. Since i wasn't driving like a maniac, this leads me to think that i have a binding issue? The angles are corrected for the lift, so im not concered about that, but I did notice that the yoke that attaches to the pinion has a little play in it. I don't know if that would cause this trouble this fast, especially while feather footin it like i was today. A buddy suggested that a incorrectly installed rear locker might be malfunctioning. Any validity to that? I'll find out this week if it even has a locker in it. This is getting rather annoying. Looking for thoughts, ideas, or a shortbed that needs a motor/lift/wheels/tires. haha. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Should not have any play in that yoke/pinion area. Also, in the future if it happens, just pull the rear shaft and just drive it home as a front-driver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should not have any play in that yoke/pinion area. Also, in the future if it happens, just pull the rear shaft and just drive it home as a front-driver.
can't. with the lift the front shaft is too short, that was my first instinct. its in the bed of my daily on the way to be remedied.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts