DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading post on this forum for a couple weeks now and decided it was time to join.

I recently bought a 1999 ram 1500 sport with the 5.2 in it and would love to lift it up a little bit. I have seen alot of people talk about topguncustomz and found a 3" lift kit with shocks.
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/Gen2ProdDisplay.php?iview=25473996
I dont really know anything about lifts so i was wondering if this kit is something worth buying while on a slim budget, will I need to purchase other stuff to make it work or is this all i need? How difficult is it to install? I just drive my truck around town and dont go off roading just want a nice looking truck. All input is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't like spacers over 2" without longer control arms over 2" you start to loose height due to axle being pulled back. My advice is to just use a 2" spacer in front and leave the back stock. Then if you want more height a body lift in do those and a set of 35" will look sweet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a 1998 2wd with a 3" spacer in the front and it works fine

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well 2wd and 4wd are not similar in design at all. What causes the problem is the control arms get too short as the axle being pushed down the arms stay the same length and causes the axle to be pulled back. Once you go over 2" spacers on a 4x4 ram you start to loose lift so over 2" you need longer control arms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a 1998 2wd with a 3" spacer in the front and it works fine
What size tires are you running on your 2wd? Ive been thinking about doing the same lift as you. I have 265/70/17 AT's right now. I would like to lift mine an eventually throw on a set of 285's or larger. Hows yours sit an look?

Any issues with the lift kit an steering on the 2wd?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts