DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had my dealer replace the torque converter and the howling was fixed and the growling/grinding is still occurring only when the engine is in eco mode. If I put the shifter into 5 it is eleminated completely. I am happy that the obnoxious howling is gone but this slight grinding noise is killing me. What other things should my dealer check, they seem to be dumbfounded and want to replace the torque converter again (they replaced original with the updated one). They also drained my rear diff took the cover off and looked. All the gears where fine and no metal shavings present in the transmission or differential, so I am lost as what todo now. Any help is appreciated thank :doh:

Brandon

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Well I had my dealer replace the torque converter and the howling was fixed and the growling/grinding is still occurring only when the engine is in eco mode. If I put the shifter into 5 it is eleminated completely. I am happy that the obnoxious howling is gone but this slight grinding noise is killing me. What other things should my dealer check, they seem to be dumbfounded and want to replace the torque converter again (they replaced original with the updated one). They also drained my rear diff took the cover off and looked. All the gears where fine and no metal shavings present in the transmission or differential, so I am lost as what todo now. Any help is appreciated thank :doh:

Brandon
It sounds like their is a bearing failing somewhere in the transmission. I for a second thought maybe the driveshaft lost balance or something or possibly a bad axle bearing but it sounds to me maybe a bearing in the transmission, especially since you say when you shift it into 5th gear everything is smooth as butter! So possibly a component within the transmission that has a bearing isn't spinning in 5th but does in 4th or 3rd so on.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It's NOT the converter. Don't let them replace it again! It sounds like your noise is only occurring when you're in MDS mode. Using ERS "5" disables MDS. The converter noise only happens when the TCC is fully locked. In MDS mode, the TCC is in partial lock, not full lock. So if you hear the noise in MDS (ECO) mode, it's not the converter.

RFE transmission thrust bearing failures are very rare. So I suspect something outside the trans is resonating when in MDS mode.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem, vibration in ECO mode only, and only when slight accelerating is applied, 1400 to 1800 RPM. I was impressed at first cause I could not tell any difference in performance when in ECO mode but 1400 miles is when I started to notice the vibration. All vibration goes away when I accelerate more and out of ECO mode, completly take foot off the gas or shift by hand to 6th, 5th, 4th etc. I will be going to my dealer and share what I have read on this site in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for sharing and the response too! pHiL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts