DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had it replaced today at 6800 miles on my 2011 Big Horn Hemi Crew Cab.

Runs as smooth as butter now, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Going to quit babying it and "run it like I stole it".

Other than a bigger fuel bill, the smile on my face should override it.

Oh, I'm a 71 year old that remembers the "muscle car years" like they were yesterday

If the Converter noise comes back there will be a Silverado in my driveway.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, what type of noise did you hear? I have a groaning moaning noise that comes and goes. I'm also getting extreme down shifting at 45-40mph and makes a big clunk and jerks the truck. Going to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i had the same symptoms as you Army, and the dealer installed a PCM update for driveability. the shifting is a great deal better, but i still have the groan...seems to be when it shifts to OD...between 50-60 kmh and again over 80kmh.

Of course the dealer couldnt replicate the groan, however, im going to try another delaership later this week. Im thinking it is my TC aswell.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Primo,

GOing to the dealer for the wifes Jeep Grand Cheroke seat issue tomorrow and will take them on a drive and show that star case and see where it goes.

M.Scip,

It sounds like a throw out bearing on a stick shift that is going out on you. Mine can grona anytime it goes into a overdrive. Some times I can get it to happen going 35mph but really does it from 45 up.

Gary

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Primo,

GOing to the dealer for the wifes Jeep Grand Cheroke seat issue tomorrow and will take them on a drive and show that star case and see where it goes.

M.Scip,

It sounds like a throw out bearing on a stick shift that is going out on you. Mine can grona anytime it goes into a overdrive. Some times I can get it to happen going 35mph but really does it from 45 up.

Gary
looking forward to see how you make out...mine definately sounds like a bearing...even the technician said we checked the wheel bearings..so i dont now how they didnt replicate the noise...:doh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can hear the frisbee sound coming from my truck. I comes and goes, but is usually when the engine/tranny is warm, and running in low rpm cruise. I doesn't bother me to much, but I'm wondering if letting it go will make other problems later. If its just a noise thing, I'll ignore it, but if it's gonna cost me a pile of money right after its out of warranty, I'll have it fixed now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can hear the frisbee sound coming from my truck. I comes and goes, but is usually when the engine/tranny is warm, and running in low rpm cruise. I doesn't bother me to much, but I'm wondering if letting it go will make other problems later. If its just a noise thing, I'll ignore it, but if it's gonna cost me a pile of money right after its out of warranty, I'll have it fixed now.

Supposedly not a durability issue....more of a noise issue. TransEngineer posted something a while ago saying it was noise from a clearance / tolerance design. The 2012's are even tighter resulting in no noise.....paraphrasing of course.

Mine has it....doing nothing about it until it gets worse, and can't deal with it noise. Or.....I'd love to see a recall, but highly unlikely for a noise if it's truly NOT a durability or safety issue. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Update!!

Went to dealer today and the mechanic and I miss read the "star case" where it says if you hear the grinding noise at 1400-1700 rpms then push the "Tow/Haul" button and it goes away then it is normal and is the MDS. After I left the dealership I started reading the case further and at the end it says if you hear the noise with the tow/haul button pushed at the same rmp's then replace the tourqe converter. Well guess what once I took off from a dead stop with tow/hual on yp was loud and clear at 1400-1700 rpms. What is annoying is if you on a trip with your wife and the radio is off because she wants to talk and you hear that going down the road.

My other issue with the hard down shifting around 40-44 mph is gone with a ECM update so that part is done. Yes the service manager is aware of the grind and the mechanic said he can't really hear due to working with air tools all day but they want me to keep and ear out and report back so will call them up and stop by this week.

Gary

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the TC problem. Actually I introduced that STAR case number to everyone. If you take it back to the dealer and they tell you they don't hear it, you have every right to take them for a ride and show them what to listen for. Luckly, I didn't have a problem with my dealer. I told them a 40k truck should NOT be making a noise like this. Took care of it and truck runs perfect! GOOD LUCK!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.