DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How exactly does torque management work (I have a 2011 1500 4x4)? Does it limit engine power via ECM or does it control the throttle position? I monitor throttle position % with my Trinity, and noticed that while climbing a hill the throttle % will change when the truck downshifts even if I don't move my foot.

So with all that being said and if the latter is how it works, could torque management theoretically be disabled with a drive-by-cable throttle body swap? Or did I just waste my time typing all of this

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It does that because the engine rpms are lowered due to the downshift and needs less air than before, it helps with air to fuel ratio. With a cable driven throttle the air to fuel ratio would be foot controlled...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah I guess that makes sense. Efficiency in mind then. But that still means that it's controlling your power in a way.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I helps keep the AFR in check and so you don't run too lean at low rpms to much air is really bad and can damage the motor.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
It does that because the engine rpms are lowered due to the downshift and needs less air than before, it helps with air to fuel ratio. With a cable driven throttle the air to fuel ratio would be foot controlled...
It will still pull timing to lower power and on the newer trucks it also uses the brakes to reduce output.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts