DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a 2500 when I purchased my first fifth wheel. It was great to tow our 31' trailer but we found it hard to find a fiver with a pin weight (Which is now normally posted on the pin on new fifth wheels) low enough for the 6.7 mega cab 4x4. When looking remember to add the hitch weight which is normally more than 125 pounds. Went to a 3500 SRW and have a nice 32' fiver. The pin weight of the camper is critical as it is most of your payload weight. If you want a 36' or larger fiver get a dually. Not the easiest to drive around town but will handle most fifth wheel campers. Also, if you have a Mega cab you will have the "regular" bed so you will need a slider hitch or something that moves the pin a little aft so the front of the camper doesn't hit your cab while backing sharply. The 2500 has a large towing capacity but not much bed (payload) capacity. Highly recommend moving to the 3500 for fifth wheels.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 2017 6.7, 4X4 mega cab,6'4" bed limited 2500 and I pull a 40' 5th wheel and the weight is a little over 13,000 pounds. If your truck doesn't have an 8' bed, you will need the slider hitch. I don't carry any fluids in the tanks. If your truck has the exhaust break, you will love it because it will help on saving your truck breaks. When we bought our 5th wheel, the rv dealership through in the slider hitch and ran another plug into the bed of the truck. All for free. Also If it was me (hind sight) up grade your trailer tires and buy sensors for your tires. We were on one trip and the passanger side front tire blewout and I didn't know it until someone flaged me down. I was lucky that it didn't hurt the rim. To me the tires on the rv's are no better than the ones on new vehicles. Our trailer made my truck squat about 1.5", so that made my front end light. I bought airbags and installed them myself. If you have a level surface to work on, it is not that hard to do. I hope that this helps you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased a 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 laramie. Thinking about getting a fifth wheel camper. I have four kids so I will need a decent size camper to fit my entire family. Any help with past experience that will help me find the right camper without going to big would be greatly appreciated.
You could go with a fifth wheel or a travel trailer. Something in the range of 30 foot should work for you and your family.

The travel trailer will be lighter than a fifth wheel which will reduce the tongue weight. You should consider a weight distributing hitch with some kind of sway control. I use an Equalizer hitch with my 30 ft airstream.

A fifth wheel will be easier to tow and would not need any sway control or WD since the pin sits right over the rear wheels. The fifth wheel has a higher profile and the fuel mileage will be less.

You did not say if you plan to tow a lot or leave it at one spot for the season.

A previous reply mentioned Trailer tires, if you are going to tow a lot, get the tire pressure monitoring system as they recommended and upgrade to 16 in tires if your trailer does not come with them. ST tires used to be rated at only 65 MPH but some of the newer tires like the Good Year Endurance are rated much higher. Many people like to use LT tires like Michelins. Again it depends on how much time you spend towing and how fast you want to tow.

Others mentioned payload. You and your family alone will be in the range of 500 to 550 pounds. leaving you with about 15oo pounds for hitch or trailer tongue weight. Multiply that times 8 assuming 12% of the trailer weight is on the tongue or pin and you are just under 12000 lb A 30+ foot 5th wheel might weigh in at that. A travel trailer of that length would weigh much less.

Length of equipment will determine where you can camp. Some parks do not have many spaces that can accommodate more than 30 feet of trailer. More than 30 feet is a little more difficult to maneuver into back in sites. None of this is a problem if you just park your trailer at a campground for the season but if you are taking extended trips around the country, you have to plan more carefully.

It is educational to go look at a lot of used RV's first to get a sense of how they holdup over time and what floor plans are available. Bunkhouse models are efficient in their use of space for kids beds and you do not have to break down the dinette down every night for them to convert into a bed, Check out seating. Any seats that convert into beds are usually uncomfortable to set in for a long time. Fridge size and type are also a consideration, For family camping, TV's fireplaces and ceiling fans are not necessary. Lots of storage for clothes, toys, games, and bikes, is.

Good luck on your search for the perfect family camper!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased a 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 laramie. Thinking about getting a fifth wheel camper. I have four kids so I will need a decent size camper to fit my entire family. Any help with past experience that will help me find the right camper without going to big would be greatly appreciated.
You should be looking at a bunk house model to sleep 6. Go to https://webcontent.goodsam.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2020.pdf
to determine you load/towing capacity. Hitch weight is your main concern as that is the load on your truck. So in your calculations, add up your whole family and what you put in the bed of your truck as you would go camping to calculate how much more hitch weight you can put in your bed (including the weight of the hitch) and go from there. As you search for RVs, be wary of "advertised" hitch weight as that is usually an empty trailer and does not include all your gear and fresh water. As a general rule, hitch weight is about 15% of the RV gross weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tow a 12500 empty so maybe 14000 with my 2015 2500 cummins. No problem. You just have to change your brake pads every year. Well i go.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have found that 5th wheel pin weights are at least 20% of GVWR of the trailer.
Do not believe the "dry pin weight" that they advertise. My last 5er was spec'd as 1740lb dry - it scaled out at 2400lbs.
Current 5er spec's dry pin as 1370lb, it scales out at 1700 with 20 gal in the fresh water tank.

Study up on the different weights and ratings until you understand them, only then should you look for the trailer that will work for your family and the truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Forest River has MANY bumper pull travel trailers that would have more than enough room for you family, They are one of the higher quality pieces, DO NOT GET ME WRONG, THEY ARE
ALL PIECES OF $#!+, “But” , Forest River / Rockwood are very nicely equipped and
So NOT seem to fall apart like some of the others. What state do you live in.?
Sorry, just seeing this reply today. I live in TN

·
Registered
11 Posts
There are already several good replies on weight rating and what your Ram actually can haul, and it can get confusing. The comment to load your truck with the family, full fuel and what you would normally carry in the truck, get it weighed and subtract from 10,000 lbs, GVWR = your left over load capacity for the truck bed. Now, on to RVs. I've had a fifth wheel and now a travel trailer. Fifth wheel is easier to tow and hook up/unhook than a travel trailer with sway bars and weight distribution hitch, but my wife had knee surgery, and the travel trailer is easier on her knees with less steps into the RV. You do not have to go crazy big and heavy even with 4 kids, but you want to be looking at bunk house models that easily sleep 6-8 people. 2-4 slide outs. More slide outs equals more weight. You should be looking at the 34-38 ft range with hitch weights around 2000 lbs, but do the first step above to see how much weight you can put in the bed/bumper. There are plenty of RV light weight options out there so shop around, check out Camping World and other online RV traders. I would suggest you buy a used one first (you won't take the big hit on depreciation) to see what actually works for your family. My first one was new (big mistake financially) and second was a one yr old travel trailer. Let the first owner take the big hit on depreciation!! Have fun GO CAMPING!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts