DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find aftermarket tow hooks for my 2016 1500 Ram Sport.
No Mopar parts fit the sport as the dealerships say the front hooks are too short And won't sell or install on this model (non metal bumper).
Any help finding some would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used oem tow hooks, I removed the plastic, cut my holes, slipped the 2 hooks through the holes, then with help from my wife slipped the whole assembly back in place, with a little twisting and convincing got all the tabs back in, then finished bolting the hooks in place.Took about 1 hour once I got the right mesurements which was a bit of trial and error till I got it right. There is enough room to slip a pro comp tow strap on between valence and hook.

I installed the hooks as preventive mesure in case I had to either get towed or had to pull someone out of the snow, because there is nothing on the front of these trucks to get towed without breaking all the plastic.

The cutouts are about 7 3/4 from edge and are 2 1/2" wide.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I used oem tow hooks, I removed the plastic, cut my holes, slipped the 2 hooks through the holes, then with help from my wife slipped the whole assembly back in place, with a little twisting and convincing got all the tabs back in, then finished bolting the hooks in place.Took about 1 hour once I got the right mesurements which was a bit of trial and error till I got it right. There is enough room to slip a pro comp tow strap on between valence and hook.

I installed the hooks as preventive mesure in case I had to either get towed or had to pull someone out of the snow, because there is nothing on the front of these trucks to get towed without breaking all the plastic.

The cutouts are about 7 3/4 from edge and are 2 1/2" wide.

Have you used them, looks like with the little amount of clearance. a rope would mark and damage the bumper below hooks. I had tow hooks on a older truck, never used them once. When I did pull some one out, I always used trailer hitch.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Trying to find aftermarket tow hooks for my 2016 1500 Ram Sport.
No Mopar parts fit the sport as the dealerships say the front hooks are too short And won't sell or install on this model (non metal bumper).
Any help finding some would be greatly appreciated.
I had OEM hooks installed by the dealer (can't order with RAMBox and hooks...), they had to cut out the plastic panel that sits behind the opening. I'm assuming it's just a different piece of plastic (with holes) when they're installed factory.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have you used them, looks like with the little amount of clearance. a rope would mark and damage the bumper below hooks. I had tow hooks on a older truck, never used them once. When I did pull some one out, I always used trailer hitch.
I installed them in case I have to get pulled out of a bad situation, the clearence is enough so that the loop on the end of my 2" Procomp tow strap fits nicely, I would not expect this setup to stay scratch free if used often, if I did any offroading I would have opted for a Ram with metal bumber. These front ends are very fragile. This truck see's only light duty and snow covered roads. Here are some pics of the strap loop on the hook with almost an inch of clearence.

·
Registered
39 Posts
resurrecting. I have a sport, and it looks like the front bumper would need to be cut out to accept tow hooks. Any other options, or is that it? I'm not sure I like the idea of the curt front hitch.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I have tow hooks on my 2016 RAM 1500, i also had them on my 2009 Ram 1500
Tow hooks for the Heavy Duty Rams are completely different

I had the dealer mount them on the '09, i didn't have the time to mount them myself

My 2016 tow hooks were put on by a body shop
I had them switch the bumpers from Chrome to the Painted style
For some reason, they put them on backwards, Hook openings are inward :(

Only the OEM hooks are made of a material that will not break or bend during a hard pull or pulls

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
The 14-up sport 1500 requires the hooks to be relocated slightly to where it?s at the wider end opening. I made some custom brackets for mine and they work great. I?m in the process of making a slight design change, after the final fitment I will get a quote to have some sets made and then I?ll post a price if there?s enough interest.

Attachments

Reactions: Thunderhorse

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The 14-up sport 1500 requires the hooks to be relocated slightly to where it?s at the wider end opening. I made some custom brackets for mine and they work great. I?m in the process of making a slight design change to allow mount for light bar as well. After the final figment I will get a quote to have some sets made and then I?ll post a price if there?s enough interest.
That looks really good, really clean install, and much more finished than most color matched bumper tow hook installs. Thanks for the pics:smileup:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks, my goal was to make it look like it came that way. It?s totally functional too as it still bolts up to the frame. Without my brackets the hook will rub the painted section. As soon as I finish the final design I?ll let people know what my quote is to sell these on eBay or amazon etc. since can?t sell here

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks, my goal was to make it look like it came that way. It?s totally functional too as it still bolts up to the frame. Without my brackets the hook will rub the painted section. As soon as I finish the final design I?ll let people know what my quote is to sell these on eBay or amazon etc. since can?t sell here
Can't wait until you've got these ready! I'm on the waiting list over on "the other forum" :) .

-K
Save
Save

·
Registered
409 Posts
No problem guys, I will let you know

1 - 20 of 27 Posts