DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I hooked on to my dad's flat deck car trailer and loaded his car up (1970 Dodge Dart Prostreet Car) to bring it over to my Uncle's shop so we could do some suspension work on it. I'm estimating the overall weight to be around 4500 pounds. That's probably a little on the high side though.

This was the first real comparison I've had for the Airlift 1000 bags on my truck towing equal weight and loading conditions before and after. They definitely kept the truck nice and level at 35 psi. It rides a lot nicer as well. Rather than bouncing around everywhere it's a lot more firm and stable. Overall I'm really happy with them. At $88 for the bags you can't really go wrong. It's definitely nice having the onboard WirelessOne compressor to be able to pump up and deflate the bags in no time and to play around with the PSI a bit to see where it feels good.

Here are a few pictures of the set up last night:

Before Airlift 1000's (November 2012):

As you can see I could definitely use a bit more of a drop on my receiver now that my truck is higher. I'm probably just going to wait until I lift it before I bother spending the money on a new receiver. That way I only have to do it once and it will be right. I don't tow enough to justify spending the money on it now.

If you have any questions regarding the truck, towing, airlifts, or car feel free to ask them. I'll try to answer the best I can.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
damn that is sweet! Looks great and those air bags are awesome. Thanks for the pics

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Looks good. Will the bags work with the lift or are you just doing a body lift?

·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good. Will the bags work with the lift or are you just doing a body lift?
When I talked to Airlift they said I would need taller bags when I do the 6" lift (4" on the back). So that would be one option. Another thing I'm thinking would probably work is to build a spacer to go above my current bags. The kit came with a 3/4" plastic spacer that goes on top of the bag at stock height. So essentially I could just make one that's a 4 3/4" long and put that on top instead :4-dontknow:

I've also heard that TLC is working on making brackets and hardware for 6" lift applications. If that's the case I might just switch over to TLC (depending on price as well) when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Sweet truck. Your did has a great car there too. Excellent post on the airlifts.

·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet truck. Your did has a great car there too. Excellent post on the airlifts.
Thanks h2oman! Ya I definitely love the car too. He's had it since before I was born so I've grown up working on it doing everything from engines, to trannys, to suspension and tubbing it out. It's definitely been a great car to learn on. Pretty fun to drive around 720 HP on the street too ;)

·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do me a favour and drop that Dart off in my driveway. It's a far drive but you love driving your truck don't you?
Haha, for the right amount of cash I could definitely drop it off in your driveway ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have an adjustable drop hitch. It was more money up front, but is a one time purchase. Now it can move from truck 2 truck or different height trailers can be towed on the fly.

·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an adjustable drop hitch. It was more money up front, but is a one time purchase. Now it can move from truck 2 truck or different height trailers can be towed on the fly.
Ya those are nice. That's probably what I'll go with once I lift it. For now I just don't tow enough or long enough distances to justify the cost. What brand do you have?

·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you do the install yourself?
if so how was it?
Yes I did. I will start with saying I'm very mechanically inclined.... so for me the install was super easy. But even if you aren't, just installing the bags isn't hard at all.

I chose to take my rear springs right out to install the bags. It is possible to deflate the air out of them completely and squish them into the coil though. Just remember to connect your airline to the top first and fish it through the frame where the spring sits otherwise you won't be able to get at the connector. From there you can just run your lines along the frame and down to the hitch. You can either T the lines together so they are running the same pressure all the time or keep them separate to have the bags at different pressure if needed. If you're only going to be using them for towing I'd recommend T-ing them together. If you plan on hauling heavy loads in the bed that might be unbalanced I'd keep them separate. After that you can mount the filler valve(s) in the hole(s) on the hitch near where the chains attach.

My install was a little more complicated than that as I hooked them up to the Airlift WirelessOne compressor as well... so my lines run differently and into a manifold etc. The total install probably took me about 4 hours but the majority of that was mounting my compressor, relays, manifold, wiring, etc. Doing just the bags themselves is probably about an hour tops.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes I did. I will start with saying I'm very mechanically inclined.... so for me the install was super easy. But even if you aren't, just installing the bags isn't hard at all.
wow
thanks for the details man :smileup:

with all my landscape projects I don't know if I'll have time this summer to do that myself - plus I'm only moderately mechanically inclined

·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even if you're only moderately mechanically inclined you shouldn't have a problem just installing the bags. As I said, it's fairly simple and straight forward. Plus just doing the bags should only take you an hour, 2 hours max! So I'm sure you can fit that in your schedule somewhere ;) :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Make sure you get the wheels off the ground. Otherwise its a pain. But if a retard like me can do it...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ya those are nice. That's probably what I'll go with once I lift it. For now I just don't tow enough or long enough distances to justify the cost. What brand do you have?
Sorry for the delay. I got this one for my F250 and have since sold the Ford, but keep the hitch for my 2013 Ram. It is now over kill for this 1500, but I figure the money has already been spent and it is mine forever.

http://www.thehitchstore.com/channel-style-adjustable-ball-mount-p-2562.html

·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That looks pretty good. Different than the other adjustable drop receivers I've seen. I don't think it will have enough drop for me once I lift the truck though. The one I have now is 2 3/4" drop I believe and I already need more (probably a 3 1/2" or so). Then with the 6" lift lifting the back another 4" I would need about 7-7 1/2" drop.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the one I have gives me up to 10 inches of drop. I would need to check for sure. It is however super heavy and super strong. I would not want to rear end that hitch in a car.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is a very nice look on your truck. I bought the air lift 1000 bags and was told they would work with the rough country 2 1/2 level lift kit. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. I have contacted some of the dealers and the manufacturer. They say it will work but nobody can tell me how... Any ideas as the lift in the back has a solid cover instead of the top of the coil being open like it once was? Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts