DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 40' Cougar 5er (used my cousins Chevy 2500 to pick it up). I have my new 2020 Ram 2500 picked out and ready to order before next spring. However, I built a 3500 on the Ram website and saw the price difference was almost negligible. My trailer is 11k dry, 14k GVWR, 2050 pin weight, which is well within the specs of the new 2500 ( 2900# payload and 16500# towing). My question is will I see a huge ride quality difference using the factory air suspension between the 2500 and 3500. This will also be my daily driver (though I really only put about 5k miles a year on my truck). what to you guys think?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Take it from me, I bought a 2500 to tow a 38ft 5er and within 2 weeks traded for a 3500 dually. Do yourself a favor and just get the dually, you'll thank me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just got in to the 2500 / Fifth Wheel last year.
My 2500 is my daily driver, also, but at about 15,000 per year.
When I first got my 2500, it really rode rough, but better than an F250 (Previous was F150).
I don't know, but I've heard the 3500 is a little stiffer (leaf springs rather than coil springs) - makes sense.
I am used to my 2500 today and don't worry too much about the ride.
If I had it to do over again and had the right vehicle available at almost negligible pricing, I would opt for the 3500.
My belief is, if I got used to the 2500, I would get used to the 3500, also.
Especially at only 5,000 per year.
Someone with experience will give you a reply soon, I'm sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My trailer is about the same size - 38' and 12k#.
I would not opt for the dually, but would probably opt for the 3500.
My 2500 SRW tows my load with no trouble - had to pay attention to rearend (4.10) and capacities.
A 3500 allows you extra payload.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just purchased a 40' Cougar 5er (used my cousins Chevy 2500 to pick it up). I have my new 2020 Ram 2500 picked out and ready to order before next spring. However, I built a 3500 on the Ram website and saw the price difference was almost negligible. My trailer is 11k dry, 14k GVWR, 2050 pin weight, which is well within the specs of the new 2500 ( 2900# payload and 16500# towing). My question is will I see a huge ride quality difference using the factory air suspension between the 2500 and 3500. This will also be my daily driver (though I really only put about 5k miles a year on my truck). what to you guys think?
For a Ram 2500, that trailer weight will cut it close to exceeding the tow ready truck's available payload. The manufacturer's pin weight (PW) is useless to go by. Going by the GVWR, at 15% the PW is 2,100 and at 25% it is 3,500. The national PW average is 20% and that would give you about 2,800. The 2500 truck manufacturer specs are J2807 compliant. However, that only includes 2 passengers weighing 300 pounds and the 5th wheel hitch. As more weight is added to the truck, that decreases the towing capacity.

There is a bit of rougher ride with the 3500 when unloaded. With the pin weight added, I notice there's not that much difference in the ride between the 2500 and 3500. If there is any possibility you may get a bigger trailer in the future, I'd go with the 3500 now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take it from me, I bought a 2500 to tow a 38ft 5er and within 2 weeks traded for a 3500 dually. Do yourself a favor and just get the dually, you'll thank me.
I like the idea of a dually from a stability standpoint, but it's overkill. And more importantly, it won't fit through my garage door. But I do agree that the more I crunch numbers, the 3500 makes more sense

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a Ram 2500, that trailer weight will cut it close to exceeding the tow ready truck's available payload. The manufacturer's pin weight (PW) is useless to go by. Going by the GVWR, at 15% the PW is 2,100 and at 25% it is 3,500. The national PW average is 20% and that would give you about 2,800. The 2500 truck manufacturer specs are J2807 compliant. However, that only includes 2 passengers weighing 300 pounds and the 5th wheel hitch. As more weight is added to the truck, that decreases the towing capacity.

There is a bit of rougher ride with the 3500 when unloaded. With the pin weight added, I notice there's not that much difference in the ride between the 2500 and 3500. If there is any possibility you may get a bigger trailer in the future, I'd go with the 3500 now.
I ended up doing that same math and I agree. The payload on a 4x4 3500 SRW megacab with the 6.4 is 4400#. I like that number much better. I currently drive a 2017 Ford F250 for my police cruiser, which has leaf spring suspension. I've gotten used to that so hoping the Ram 3500 is similar. Maybe I'll even get lucky and the factory rear air suspension will help cushion the unladen ride a bit

·
Registered
307 Posts
the payload of 2900 on the 2500 is with gas. On a diesel , its only 2300 lbs. I currently have a 2016 SRW 3500 diesel, crew cab. I am going to be ordering my new truck tomorrow. I was trying to downgrade to a 2500, but realized due to the payload I cant, so Im getting another SRW 3500. Trying to decide now weather to get the factory air ride or add it later. Can add the air lift system, which I currently have on my truck that I added, for half the price of the factory system. It was worked great since day one that I have had it. Your trailer max specs will be fine with the 2500 Diesel, but you will be over the GCWR of 24,000 lbs with the gas engine. If you plan on getting a bigger camper before you change trucks again, I would get the 3500 SRW diesel...if not, a 2500 diesel would be the way to go..good luck

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diesel was never in the equation. I barely put 5k miles a year on my truck, so I'm going gas. I've already decided on the 3500 SRW. Would I ideally love a diesel, yes. But the fact I barely drive it, the new emissions nonsense and the extra $9100 for the non HO Cummins, all point to 6.4 Hemi

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you want a stable ride go for the dually

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have my 3500 MegaCab Cummins SRW on order... I've updated other threads, forgot about this one.

FrankR, I'd love to go dually, but this is also my daily driver and needs to fit in my garage.

Kozzy, after diesel was out of the equation from the beginning, it found its way in. Couldn't so no to the deal I got. And all the numbers forced me to the Cummins anyway. The Hemi handled every number except the GCWR.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have my 3500 MegaCab Cummins SRW on order... I've updated other threads, forgot about this one.

FrankR, I'd love to go dually, but this is also my daily driver and needs to fit in my garage.

Kozzy, after diesel was out of the equation from the beginning, it found its way in. Couldn't so no to the deal I got. And all the numbers forced me to the Cummins anyway. The Hemi handled every number except the GCWR.
Good luck with your new ride.If you should find it loose steering or squatting when towing you may want to look into air bags to lift the rear and get the steer wheels firmly back on the ground. I have them on my 3500 dually, big difference when hauling. There are no drill kits out there for less than $500.00.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck with your new ride.If you should find it loose steering or squatting when towing you may want to look into air bags to lift the rear and get the steer wheels firmly back on the ground. I have them on my 3500 dually, big difference when hauling. There are no drill kits out there for less than $500.00.
I ordered it with the factory rear air suspension

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was in a similar situation when I was truck/FW shopping. A friend told me a lot of people go thru 2 or 3 trailers/before they find the right one. He's had a trailer of some sort for a while and he said to not limit myself with the truck. So I ended up with a 3500 DRW with the CTD.
Like has been said I can't get it in my garage because of both width and length. Which is a real bummer in my world.
I technically dont drive that much either. But I do love the sound of that CTD. So I suspect you might drive it more than you think. LOL. Unless you live in CA and pay $4+ for diesel. And you have the bigger tank. The almost $200 fill up makes it sit in front of the house more than I like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ended up doing that same math and I agree. The payload on a 4x4 3500 SRW megacab with the 6.4 is 4400#. I like that number much better. I currently drive a 2017 Ford F250 for my police cruiser, which has leaf spring suspension. I've gotten used to that so hoping the Ram 3500 is similar. Maybe I'll even get lucky and the factory rear air suspension will help cushion the unladen ride a bit
Police Cruiser? F250? I like it. A fellow officer/HD truck driver. I drive an F250 6.7Power Stroke for my agency, but I work marine patrol and pull some large boats.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Police Cruiser? F250? I like it. A fellow officer/HD truck driver. I drive an F250 6.7Power Stroke for my agency, but I work marine patrol and pull some large boats.
I work for the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit. So I carry a lot of equipment. Mines a gasser because the only thing I tow is a #1500 scale trailer from time to time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
One thing needs to be said. Duallies suck to park, they are too long and wide to fit in a normal parking spot. I drive our '14 to work a couple time a month and even with two foot spacers between spots it still barley fits.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One thing needs to be said. Duallies suck to park, they are too long and wide to fit in a normal parking spot. I drive our '14 to work a couple time a month and even with two foot spacers between spots it still barley fits.
Really? Are you looking at the truck for work or going to the Saturday night movies? I have been to NYC, coast to coast and north to south. Give me the stability, give me the ride when loaded. When you are dropping a 40 ft trailer now and then. It is like driving any other PU.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a dually and had a rear outer blowout at 60mph. Glad it was a dually. Imagine it depends on how many times and how far you tow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts