DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 2500 Ram and was wondering if anyone tows a 5th wheel with one, my 5th wheel is 30'

I have a 2500 cummins that i use to tow it with but my new 2012 Ram is loaded to the nuts and much nicer to drive

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, I pull a Montana High Country 343RL 38' with my 2012 2500. Pulls it with ease. Going to the mountains for Thanksgiving. Should be no problems up the mountains either with it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You don't mention the weight of the trailer or the gearing on your truck. These factors are more crucial than the length. It's getting tough to find a 5th wheel trailer that is in the weight range of a half ton tow vehicle, which is why 2500's and 3500s are most often recommended.

I didn't see which body style you have. If you have a crew cab short box it'll be more difficult, although there are hitches out there that will prevent hitting the cab of the truck on tight turns.

As long as the GVW of the trailer (loaded) and the pin weight are within the recommended limits, there would be no significant difference on the suspension and powertrain than towing a similarly weighted bumper trailer.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not recommended with the 1500. I don't think anybody will admit they do it.
Why not? If you compare two trailers of equal gross weight and tongue weight the 5th wheel is considerably safer to tow than a bumper pull. Hence why tractor trailers don't bumper pull. Obviously you'd still want to stay within the weight guidelines for both gross trailer weight and tongue weight.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
a 1500 standard Cab with an 8 foot long bed
with air bags might have frame enough to use a 5th wheel
but i wouldn't trust it with COIL SPRINGS

·
Registered
355 Posts
a 1500 standard Cab with an 8 foot long bed
with air bags might have frame enough to use a 5th wheel
but i wouldn't trust it with COIL SPRINGS
A bumper pull with 1500 lbs. tongue weight will sag the truck a lot more than a 5th wheel with 1500 lbs. tongue weight. The bumper pull has nearly 3' of leverage on the 5th wheel. Go pick up a 25 lb. dumbbell and hold it out to your side. Then hold the dumbbell directly over your shoulder. It's the same concept.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I still would not trust the COIL SPRINGS

i'll take leaf springs any day

·
Registered
212 Posts
Why not? If you compare two trailers of equal gross weight and tongue weight the 5th wheel is considerably safer to tow than a bumper pull. Hence why tractor trailers don't bumper pull. Obviously you'd still want to stay within the weight guidelines for both gross trailer weight and tongue weight.
Ahh, there in is the problem. Typicall y a 5'er has a tongue weight of 15-20% of the loaded gross trailer weight, where a bumper pull has tongue weight of 5-10% of the gross trailer weight, all due to where the trailer axels are placed on the trailer. So you end up with double the weight on the truck. You would be limited to a +/-6250lb trailer when fully loaded with a 5'er due to the max payload of our trucks with a passenger at 200lbs and 150 lbs of cargo in the truck.

There are 2 other issues with the 1500:
1) the coil springs on these trucks. They do not take well to compression
with weight and will cause an instability issue.
2) The bed length and wheelbase is not long enough to properly distribute the 5'ers load to both axles without running a very high risk of hitting the cab with the hitch when you are doing tight turns as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ahh, there in is the problem. Typicall y a 5'er has a tongue weight of 15-20% of the loaded gross trailer weight, where a bumper pull has tongue weight of 5-10% of the gross trailer weight, all due to where the trailer axels are placed on the trailer. So you end up with double the weight on the truck. You would be limited to a +/-6250lb trailer when fully loaded with a 5'er due to the max payload of our trucks with a passenger at 200lbs and 150 lbs of cargo in the truck.

There are 2 other issues with the 1500:
1) the coil springs on these trucks. They do not take well to compression
with weight and will cause an instability issue.
2) The bed length and wheelbase is not long enough to properly distribute the 5'ers load to both axles without running a very high risk of hitting the cab with the hitch when you are doing tight turns as previously mentioned.

Good explanation! I have seen lots and lots of 1500 Rams pulling large trailers at campsites this summer, but seldom see them pulling 5'rs! Lots of bumper trailers have longer wheelbases now, like mine (Denali 311bh) which makes pulling it with my 1500 a breeze. 5'r seem to still go with the shorter distance between axles, putting more weight on the pivot points!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts