DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I have an opportunity to get the deal of a lifetime. My dad recently purchased a new 30' Bayliner Ciera 3055. Triple axle trailer, dual 220hp I/O mercruiser's, radar, the works.

He has offered me his 2001 26' Bayliner Ciera 2655 for $5,000. I instantly took him up on the offer. Now what I need to know is, will my 4.7 with 3:92 be ok towing it? I should have checked that first, but I can upgrade the truck if need be. Here is the boat, this one isnt mine but it looks EXACTLY like it:

Thats a Tahoe (yukon) its attached to for size reference.:wow:

I have a DSP, and the longest trip I will be towing for will be the trip from Dallas to Seattle (I will do this when I bring it up and then again next year-ish when I leave). Otherwise, all the towing will be done in less than 100 mile intervals. The way I see it, its cheaper to fill the boat, launch it and drive the boat down the coast than it is to drive the truck towing the boat down the coast.

Be that as it may, I am not expecting stellar gas mileage, but at 5,000 empty, I really just want to know am I going to break my truck on my 2,000 mile trek through the rockies, or do I need to rent a diesel to get it up here on the long trip?

Airbags are a must on the Ram, and its taken care of already.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think you and I talked a bit about this earlier on another post. This is one of those situations where a 4.7 will probably get the job done, but the trips can turn into a real mental and mechanical challenge. I don't know...I've taken trips with a marginally powered vehicle pulling a trailer, and it was irritating and often downright unpleasant. Plus, I don't think it does the vehicle any good when it has to be pushed at this level...and it usually does nothing for fuel mileage either.

When you have a tow vehicle with a powerband and tranny truly suited to pulling a decent load, it can be a very pleasant and peaceful experience. Your 5000 pound boat and trailer combo isn't a heinous amount, but you're going to constantly know it's behind a 4.7 very clearly. When you mention taking the boat over the rockies with a 4.7, you will be crawling at times. I do about 3 trips a year over various points in the rockies with a trailer. Having a smaller power plant to do the job makes the trip suck.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Sorry about any towing probs you may have. But congrats on the badass boat.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think you and I talked a bit about this earlier on another post. This is one of those situations where a 4.7 will probably get the job done, but the trips can turn into a real mental and mechanical challenge. I don't know...I've taken trips with a marginally powered vehicle pulling a trailer, and it was irritating and often downright unpleasant. Plus, I don't think it does the vehicle any good when it has to be pushed at this level...and it usually does nothing for fuel mileage either.

When you have a tow vehicle with a powerband and tranny truly suited to pulling a decent load, it can be a very pleasant and peaceful experience. Your 5000 pound boat and trailer combo isn't a heinous amount, but you're going to constantly know it's behind a 4.7 very clearly. When you mention taking the boat over the rockies with a 4.7, you will be crawling at times. I do about 3 trips a year over various points in the rockies with a trailer. Having a smaller power plant to do the job makes the trip suck.
We did discuss this before. Our convo was actually what got me thinking about this. I guess we will have to see. My truck is paid for so I can trade it at any time. I think I will try pulling it. I have never pulled a boat before with this truck, does it tow differently than say, A U-haul trailer full of tools? Or a flatbed trailer with another car? Most of the weight is in the rear of it (fuel tanks, Motor etc), so I can imagine it will weigh heavily on the rear of the trailer, not so much on the tongue. I have pulled 5,000+lbs before with the 4.7, and not had a problem, but it was not for any serious distance, and the weight was distributed evenly.

Sorry about any towing probs you may have. But congrats on the badass boat.
Thanks! Maybe an upgrade to this is in order?

At the very least, I will be investing in a set of these:

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
I put those very mirrors on my truck. They work great. Still you should make the upgrade. It'll take years off your life stressing out over towing that beast of a boat. Anyway, that's what you can tell the wife.:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I am weighing the pro's and cons. Other than the 2x I am going to tow it long distances (from TX to WA and WA to TX when I move back), the longest distance I plan to tow the boat is literally from my driveway in Fort Worth TX to the launch at Lake Country Estates (2 minute drive).

Since I am going to be moving back to Fort Worth in less than a year, and I am not going to be able to get the boat back to WA in time to enjoy it for summer, the Wife and I decided to leave it down there, and use our truck to tow it for a little while. We may still make the upgrade, but its hard to stomach trading in such a great truck. We will see how she does with it. My dad has towed this very boat with a 2wd V6 F150 (not far, he literally lives 6 blocks from the same boat launch), so it can be done.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
5000lbs is nothing for a truck. Your 4.7 will not be an issue at all, especially since you have 3.92 gears. The biggest thing you will notice is the wind load, and it doesn't matter what engine you have, that will not change. Take any towing concerns and place them in the trash bin. As long as you have the rear suspension enhanced (I think you have that covered. :)), and proper working trailer breaks you are good to go. The manufacturer is likely to have worked out the tongue weight to ensure it is correct for towing (~500lbs).

Enjoy the new toy and don't hesitate to haul it anywhere. I don't consider you to be 'Joe Average' recreational tower; you have enough experience towing really big heavy things in your job, so I'm confident that you will have everything mechanical in order and use appropriate common sense while towing. :smileup:

I just have to figure out how to make it down to visit you during boating season. LOL

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
5000lbs is nothing for a truck. Your 4.7 will not be an issue at all, especially since you have 3.92 gears. The biggest thing you will notice is the wind load, and it doesn't matter what engine you have, that will not change. Take any towing concerns and place them in the trash bin. As long as you have the rear suspension enhanced (I think you have that covered. :)), and proper working trailer breaks you are good to go. The manufacturer is likely to have worked out the tongue weight to ensure it is correct for towing (~500lbs).

Enjoy the new toy and don't hesitate to haul it anywhere. I don't consider you to be 'Joe Average' recreational tower; you have enough experience towing really big heavy things in your job, so I'm confident that you will have everything mechanical in order and use appropriate common sense while towing. :smileup:

I just have to figure out how to make it down to visit you during boating season. LOL
Well, the good news is, the boat is mine now. I sent the money. The bad news is, its heavier than I thought.

Updated specs from my dad:

5.7L MerCruiser, 250 HP Bravo Three with Stern drive. It has 2-20 gallon Freshwater tanks, a 20 gallon grey water and a 20 gallon black water tank. Fuel tank is 84 gallons (not 100 like I had initially thought).

I was a bit off on weight though. It's 6,370. Thats a heavy bitch. Moar Pix.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
That is a bit heavier! LOL
I would still pull it without hesitation. You will have to gear down for the hills, but no biggy. Your 4.7 is still 310HP out of the box, and that is a lot more than trucks of 10 years ago that pulled these weights.

Being a mechanic, you will know when your truck is unhappy and alter your driving accordingly. :) Most important thing - Brakes!

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I recommend that you make the drive with no liquid weight on board, for the easiest pull & best mileage
You won't be the fastest vehicle going up hills, but you will be the driver with the biggest grin

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recommend that you make the drive with no liquid weight on board, for the easiest pull & best mileage
You won't be the fastest vehicle going up hills, but you will be the driver with the biggest grin
LOL, for sure, until I look down at the fuel gauge.:doh: 20 gallons every 100 miles = no bueno!:wow:

·
Registered
79 Posts
My old explorer with a 4.0 v6 pulled 4000 and a lot of windage pounds and still got 7mpg. You won't be at 5 except in the mountains. I bet you will get 8-9mpg.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,519 Posts
I think you can pull it no problem. Will you break any speed records...no will your gas mileage suck...yes, but this is the price you pay for fun. More fun = more $ thats just a fact of life brother, sooo enjoy!

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I think you can pull it no problem. Will you break any speed records...no will your gas mileage suck...yes, but this is the price you pay for fun. More fun = more $ thats just a fact of life brother, sooo enjoy!
I will enjoy, for sure! As I said, money is not a significant issue at this point in my life, so fuel economy is not a huge concern. Breaking the truck would be, but not because of cost, because I don't like breaking things. I have run the numbers in my head over and over again. If my dad can tow 8,000lbs 240 miles every weekend for 2 years with the 1994 Dakota 4x4 (318 V8) w/250hp (ish), there should be no reason I cant do it with 310...plus the DSP programs.

I have a feeling that this boat will cost more in maintenance than the truck will...just because its a boat. Just to be sure, I sent my cousin to pick up the boat with his 3rd gen 4.7 and pull it around, then tell me how it did. He said it pulled it fine. So if he can do it with 235hp, I can do it with 310.

Now I have to install a trailer brake controller.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Couple things that might help you out with this situation...

-I live in Lake Country also (small world). If you would like to leave the boat at my house, I would be happy to order a second sticker for the launch. I will even be nice enough to take it out once a month and make sure to keep that gas fresh. :)

-Empty that sucker out. Fluids, cheap gear, etc.

- Get the trailer trued. I towed my old boat round trip to NY and got 11.5mpg. Got the trailer trued and picked up just over 2 mpgs on the next trip (and less tire wear).

- We can give it a pull in my 2011 QC Hemi with 3.92's some day if you want for a reference. FWIW my boat is almost the same weight but not as bulky and kills my mpg's, good luck on the trip!!

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Couple things that might help you out with this situation...

-I live in Lake Country also (small world). If you would like to leave the boat at my house, I would be happy to order a second sticker for the launch. I will even be nice enough to take it out once a month and make sure to keep that gas fresh. :)

-Empty that sucker out. Fluids, cheap gear, etc.

- Get the trailer trued. I towed my old boat round trip to NY and got 11.5mpg. Got the trailer trued and picked up just over 2 mpgs on the next trip (and less tire wear).

- We can give it a pull in my 2011 QC Hemi with 3.92's some day if you want for a reference. FWIW my boat is almost the same weight but not as bulky and kills my mpg's, good luck on the trip!!
Thanks for the offer :) My dad already has a sticker on the trailer, he and my mother live there on Lake Country Dr. The trailer was trued last fall before storage.

It's looking more and more like I am leavin' it down there. I will be home again in April, anyway, this time permanently. With gas prices the way they are and TX is not my only stop (gotta go to FL first), we are renting a Kia Optima for the road trip. Hey...it beats $3k in fuel (4k if I tow the boat back). Will only cost me 2k (maybe less, including rental fee) to drive the rental.

I wont be able to get to texas and back until september, which means boating season in Tacoma will be over by the time I get back, then I have to register it here, to turn around and do it again in april of '13. Not bringing it back will also allow me to tow my beater car back to Fort Worth so I have 2 vehicles when I get out of the army.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts