DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, everyone, this is mostly why I belong to this forum. Here goes my 1st post, dealing with my 1st real truck about to buy my first RV. So if I say something wrong please go easy on me. I own a 2016 RAM 2500 Big Horn, 6.4 Hemi Gas engine w/tow package (4:10 gears, etc...) 6'4 bed, crew cab. I plan to semi-retire very soon and live life, for a while, traveling the good ole' USA living in an RV. My wife and I are looking mostly at 5th wheel campers. I don't trust the RV salesmen and trying to get a cohesive answer online is, well, closer to dissonance then coherent. So here is my question to you all who are experienced, in the real world and I believe can give a clear, honest answer. Here goes:
What would you all say is the max. GRVW RV my truck should comfortably be able to handle? Most RVs we like are weighing in around 14,000 lbs. Will my truck handle this or not?
I sincerely thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've towed quite a few different campers with different trucks, in my opinion 14,000 is some pretty serious weight, if you are planning on putting a lot of miles, you are in the diesel dually territory at 14k.
Can you find a 5th wheel you like in the 10,000 lbs range?

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I've towed quite a few different campers with different trucks, in my opinion 14,000 is some pretty serious weight, if you are planning on putting a lot of miles, you are in the diesel dually territory at 14k.
Can you find a 5th wheel you like in the 10,000 lbs range?
I have to agree with yoda. I own a 2016 Laramie 2500 Il6 CTD 6.4l I have an 8ft bed. I would suggest you door sticker and owners manual.
If you don't have one get one or PM me and send me your e-mail and I will send you one of the extra OM's I have.
(I miss-placed my manual bought an extra one on eBay and ended up with three)
Semer Fi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some where on here is a link posted to a mopar site that allows you to enter your VIN and provides you with a pdf of your build sheet. It was really neat. Maybe you can search for it or someone smarter than me may provide it.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
With a 3300 lb payload, which is about what most Hemi 2500s have, a 14,000lb 5th wheel will only leave you with about 500 lbs capacity for passengers and cargo-and that's with 20% pin weight. 25% will put you over either way.

This is also if we are talking wet weight, if that's before its even loaded you're going to be way over.

Payload will be your main limitation, a Hemi with 4.10s is good for over 15,000 towing; but it sounds like you probably want either a 1 ton suspension or a lighter trailer. 14,000lbs is a pretty huge trailer, but I wouldn't go so far as to say you need a diesel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, everyone. I received my OEM build sheet, but it doesn't tell me towing capacity so I contacted the dealer. They looked up my VIN number and said, I have a towing capacity of 15,500 lbs. But I am going with a 5th wheeler with GRVW (wet) of just under 11000 lbs. Thank you all. I'm sure I am going to have tons of more questions real soon!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum and post some pics once you get your RV. I’ve been loving in an RV for over 4 years now and it’s nice.
Thanks for the welcome! We are going (again) to the RV show in Hersey PA next month (Sept.). We are trying to narrow down what we want, what will work for us and of course what my truck can handle. Hopefully, by late spring/early summer 2019 we'll be living in our new RV. I will post pictures once we select the right RV. We're really excited about this next chapter in our lives. We're new to RV'ing so we have lots to learn, but that's part of the whole experience. Thanks again, I'm sure we'll have lots of questions about towing coming up!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Ok, everyone, this is mostly why I belong to this forum. Here goes my 1st post, dealing with my 1st real truck about to buy my first RV. So if I say something wrong please go easy on me. I own a 2016 RAM 2500 Big Horn, 6.4 Hemi Gas engine w/tow package (4:10 gears, etc...) 6'4 bed, crew cab. I plan to semi-retire very soon and live life, for a while, traveling the good ole' USA living in an RV. My wife and I are looking mostly at 5th wheel campers. I don't trust the RV salesmen and trying to get a cohesive answer online is, well, closer to dissonance then coherent. So here is my question to you all who are experienced, in the real world and I believe can give a clear, honest answer. Here goes:
What would you all say is the max. GRVW RV my truck should comfortably be able to handle? Most RVs we like are weighing in around 14,000 lbs. Will my truck handle this or not?
I sincerely thank you all in advance.

I would strongly suggest a smaller trailer. What you are looking at I refer to as parking lot campers. If you plan on camping at anything but large RV parks you will be severely handicapped by the size of camping spots. To compound the problem it seems you are limited on your towing experience. Having RV'ed since the 70's (yea I'm that old) I have always limited myself to 30' +- and got along great. One other thing is there is such a thing as 'too much togetherness' when traveling with a spouse. There is not a big enough trailer made to solve that issue. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Your always going to be limited by something in the Weight and carrying capacity. What you have to decide is what most important. Here is the link to check your specific Vin for towing limits https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html. Being an RV owner myself I'm challenged with my wife's ability to overload the trailers carrying capacity, currently somewhere just over 2500LBS. We own the biggest 3500 that RAM makes with a GCWR of over 37,500, but my biggest concern now is the tires on the trailers. Good luck with search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your always going to be limited by something in the Weight and carrying capacity. What you have to decide is what most important. Here is the link to check your specific Vin for towing limits https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html. Being an RV owner myself I'm challenged with my wife's ability to overload the trailers carrying capacity, currently somewhere just over 2500LBS. We own the biggest 3500 that RAM makes with a GCWR of over 37,500, but my biggest concern now is the tires on the trailers. Good luck with search.
LOL your wife manages to overload your carrying capacity even at 25,000 lbs...I fear I may be the one to do that. always had a 'better to have and not need then need and not have' philosophy! and Thank you, that website you referenced confirmed my towing capacity:
2016 RAM 2500 BIG HORN CREW CAB 4X4 6'4" BOX
6-Speed Automatic 66RFE Transmission
MAX PAYLOAD
3190.00LBS
MAX TOWING
15520.0LBS
Now i feel more confident when I go RV hunting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would strongly suggest a smaller trailer. What you are looking at I refer to as parking lot campers. If you plan on camping at anything but large RV parks you will be severely handicapped by the size of camping spots. To compound the problem it seems you are limited on your towing experience. Having RV'ed since the 70's (yea I'm that old) I have always limited myself to 30' +- and got along great. One other thing is there is such a thing as 'too much togetherness' when traveling with a spouse. There is not a big enough trailer made to solve that issue. Just my thoughts.
Thank you sandawilliams! I'm humbled and respectful of your experience and appreciate you sharing that experience my way! I have reconsidered the size and weight of what we're looking at to buy. I want to enjoy this experience not panic or find myself in over my head. I do appreciate and concur with "too much togetherness" with my wife. But in our defense, we know what it is to be separated thanks to 9 years in the Navy. The last 40 years we worked hard, raised 2 daughters, have 6 grandchildren and worked our butts off for this time in our lives; so being together is just what we need now (at least for a little while... or until she grows tired of me! .....grin). Thanks again!

·
Registered
242 Posts
OK, so you are going to a show to look at campers...

1. Look at the camper with the slides in. When you are stopping for lunch or staying in a Walmart / Truck stop / ETC you may not be able to open your slides. You need access to the bathroom, the bathroom, the bedroom and the kitchen.

2. In your first year of ownership, you will be either fixing the crap that the factory messed up on or it will spend time at the dealership

3. If you order a trailer - order the upgraded tires.

4. I don't have a slider hitch and have a dent in the back of the cab ( luckily I missed the back window). I'm not saying you need a slider hitch, but you want a rounded front camper and you want to be careful. I personally have the B&W Companion and love it until I have to take it out or put it in, it's heavy. The Anderson looks promising, but I hear you have to raise your trailer up much more to hitch / unhitch.

5. If you are going to dry camp, get at least 1 group 27 battery instead of 24. You could also do 2 golf cart batteries. Get an inverter generator.

Just came back from a 14,000 mile trip. Feel free to PM me for more...

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, so you are going to a show to look at campers...

1. Look at the camper with the slides in. When you are stopping for lunch or staying in a Walmart / Truck stop / ETC you may not be able to open your slides. You need access to the bathroom, the bathroom, the bedroom and the kitchen.

2. In your first year of ownership, you will be either fixing the crap that the factory messed up on or it will spend time at the dealership

3. If you order a trailer - order the upgraded tires.

4. I don't have a slider hitch and have a dent in the back of the cab ( luckily I missed the back window). I'm not saying you need a slider hitch, but you want a rounded front camper and you want to be careful. I personally have the B&W Companion and love it until I have to take it out or put it in, it's heavy. The Anderson looks promising, but I hear you have to raise your trailer up much more to hitch / unhitch.

5. If you are going to dry camp, get at least 1 group 27 battery instead of 24. You could also do 2 golf cart batteries. Get an inverter generator.

Just came back from a 14,000 mile trip. Feel free to PM me for more...
Follow this advice!!! Especially numbers 2 and 3. I spent my first full camping season recaulking every seam and lap sealing the roof on my current trailer. I didn’t know that on my first camper (brand rhymes with Hayco) and had water intrusion within a year. I don’t wish that on anyone. After replacing it with my current rig, I had a tire blow out on the first trip and tore through my floor, shredding electrical and water lines. The insurance guy called the factory tires “China bombs”. Don’t overlook those tires. Aside from the tire incident, I’m loving my current trailer. It was built way better than the first. The Signature Ultralight series comes in a fifth wheel and an owner let me walkthrough his at a campground. It was beautiful, spacious, and he was pulling it with an F-150 with an empty weight around 7,500 lbs I believe. Might be worth stopping by their booth at the RV show. Just my two cents. Here’s my two.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
The first and most important thing to do is weigh your truck, fully loaded just as it would be ready to tow. Then use the RV Tow Check app to discover the realistic vehicle towing capacity of your truck. Even 3/4 ton trucks with diesel engines are limited for 5th wheel towing because of the low GVWR and GAWR. However, there are a lot of 3/4 ton trucks towing trailers that exceed the truck's weight safety ratings too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is an old saying regarding boats that apply to trailers. You never buy new. Once you leave the lot instant depreciation...much greater than for an automobile. Also let someone else fix all those problems brought up by shelkol at #2. And do not trust what the salesman is saying!

Also get that tow rating out of your mind. That is for a bumper pull with your truck completely empty. This will never be the case. Another thing with 5th wheels, the listed pin weight is for the trailer stripped without the gas bottles, (110lbs) the two batteries, (well over 100lbs) no water in your tanks, nothing loaded and maybe even without the ac unit on the roof? Expect the actual pin weight to be much higher and ad in the weight of the 5th wheel hitch itself and you don't have much if anything left over to carry including the dw and you.
For example my trailer weighed on the Cat scale came in at 9200lbs. My pin weight was 1800lbs. This looks good since my truck is rated to tow 13500lbs. But guess what, the 1800lbs along with the 200lbs for my 5th wheel hitch plus dw, me and a few other cargo items puts us right on the limit for the trucks gvrw. Btw, the truck is a 2500 ctd. All these weights and ratings interact in varying ways. You can be well under on several ratings and find yourself over on another.
Once you have a trailer make sure to weigh it on the cat scale and the truck also both loaded. That's the only way to know for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my 2018 Ram CC SRW 3500 w the Aisin tranny weighed with me (250) normal cab stuff and my hard hat bed cover (100 lbs), plus full tank of fuel. Truck weight was 8320 lbs. rear axle was 3180 lbs (7000), front 5140lbs (6000). So my new companion slider is 250 and my wife is 130. Build sheet says I have 3820 payload. But you can see versus GVWR, I’m at 3400 minus 380. So about 3020lbs remaining for payload. From our last trailer we expect our stuff including 25 gallon of water and full propane to weigh and all our junk to weigh14000lbs even though the truck is rated to tow 17000 lbs. So I will be right at the limits of GVWR but I will be 2-300 lbs under the 7000 lb rear axle max and then another 200 under the max tire rating. So, the whole question is can a 3500 Ram, carry this weight safely?

I surely think so.im used to running right at the max tire ratings in my class c with no problems. But I’m zealous for watching condition, and inflation and I have a tpms.

If I get where I’m not as happy, I’ll either convert it to a dually or buy ride rites, and Rickson’s. Probably won’t take long to figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
If you are a few hundred pounds under your weight limits with everything accounted for-which is what it sounds like-then I think you'll be fine. Remember that 300 lbs is nothing to you, but for some of us 1/2 ton guys its 20% of our payload capacity

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
There is an old saying regarding boats that apply to trailers. You never buy new. Once you leave the lot instant depreciation...much greater than for an automobile. Also let someone else fix all those problems brought up by shelkol at #2. And do not trust what the salesman is saying!

Also get that tow rating out of your mind. That is for a bumper pull with your truck completely empty. This will never be the case. Another thing with 5th wheels, the listed pin weight is for the trailer stripped without the gas bottles, (110lbs) the two batteries, (well over 100lbs) no water in your tanks, nothing loaded and maybe even without the ac unit on the roof? Expect the actual pin weight to be much higher and ad in the weight of the 5th wheel hitch itself and you don't have much if anything left over to carry including the dw and you.
For example my trailer weighed on the Cat scale came in at 9200lbs. My pin weight was 1800lbs. This looks good since my truck is rated to tow 13500lbs. But guess what, the 1800lbs along with the 200lbs for my 5th wheel hitch plus dw, me and a few other cargo items puts us right on the limit for the trucks gvrw. Btw, the truck is a 2500 ctd. All these weights and ratings interact in varying ways. You can be well under on several ratings and find yourself over on another.
Once you have a trailer make sure to weigh it on the cat scale and the truck also both loaded. That's the only way to know for sure.
Never trust any salesman. Even the one at the cemetery. My father bought two plots when my mother passed away in 1967. He got married gain in 1969 to the wicked witch of the north. When he passed away in 1984 she became sole owner. She passed away in 2002 she was buried in Northern California. I called the cemetery in Los Angeles county, and wanted to see about selling the plot and by the time all the fees were going to be paid to them it was not worth it.
Sorry for the rant remember never trust any salesman even more if they re family members.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got my 2018 Ram CC SRW 3500 w the Aisin tranny weighed with me (250) normal cab stuff and my hard hat bed cover (100 lbs), plus full tank of fuel. Truck weight was 8320 lbs. rear axle was 3180 lbs (7000), front 5140lbs (6000). So my new companion slider is 250 and my wife is 130. Build sheet says I have 3820 payload. But you can see versus GVWR, I’m at 3400 minus 380. So about 3020lbs remaining for payload. From our last trailer we expect our stuff including 25 gallon of water and full propane to weigh and all our junk to weigh14000lbs even though the truck is rated to tow 17000 lbs. So I will be right at the limits of GVWR but I will be 2-300 lbs under the 7000 lb rear axle max and then another 200 under the max tire rating. So, the whole question is can a 3500 Ram, carry this weight safely?

I surely think so.im used to running right at the max tire ratings in my class c with no problems. But I’m zealous for watching condition, and inflation and I have a tpms.

If I get where I’m not as happy, I’ll either convert it to a dually or buy ride rites, and Rickson’s. Probably won’t take long to figure it out.
Sounds just like my truck that I just purchased this past week except mine is the 6.4L Hemi. Pretty much the same weights too. My 5th wheel fully loaded comes in at 14K, the CC on the truck (yellow sticker) is 4323 so just like you I think I'm pretty safe! Coming from a 2500HD Chevy towing the same trailer I feel comfortable once again! Safe travels!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts