DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In late September we are driving from Louisiana to Spokane Washington. I've never towed anything other than small trailers, but we were thinking of renting a camper to see if we like it. Not really even sure what size camper to look at.

My truck has the 3.92 rear end and towing packag. I do know that.

So I'm looking for advice. I really don't know where to start and I have lots of questions.

Note: While I can back my truck into the tightest of spaces, I can't back a small trailer up to save my life. So there's that.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
The longer the trailer the easier to back up. Might I suggest you rent one just large enough to sleep all of the people you will bring comfortably and not much longer. Use tow/haul and keep it slow for minimal sway from wind. Oh... and have fun.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,247 Posts
Anything comfortably within your stated towing capacity should be fine. I assume that the towing package includes a brake controller, so that's covered, and maybe mirrors that go out far enough to be useful?

h2oman's notion of sizing it to sleep just the people on the trip sounds like the way to go to me too, unless you're hauling a soccer team.

As for backing up, well, it's true that a pokey little short trailer is less forgiving than a longer one, but there's no substitute for practice. Which on a trip like that you're likely to get. By the time you get to Spokane you'll be a pro!

There are some great apps for phones which can help you find lovely out-of-the-way spots to camp on the journey, too - like on public land and so on. You don't always have to find a real campground.
They can help you find the other facilities you need from time to time, too, like dump stations and so on.
And yeah, take your time and have fun with it. Traveling with your home on your back is a special kind of pleasure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When backing up a trailer place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and, while looking in your mirrors, if you want the trailer to back to the left, move the wheel to the left. If you want it to go to the right move the wheel to the right. just take your time and backup slow and you'll get it done. If it starts to jackknife a little, or the angle is wrong pull forward a little and start again.

Hopefully your truck has the integrated brake controller, my truck came with the towing package but did not have the brake controller. You'll definitely need that. I installed the OEM style in mine and that is the way to go. It has to be flashed by the dealer after installation though.

You're going to need a weight distributing hitch too.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I think you are going to be an old hand at towing by the time you get to Spokane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts