DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there is anyone here who has upgraded from the previous gen with a crew cab 6'4" truck to current gen crew cab 6'4" truck and has towed a longer 27'+ travel trailer.

People are talking about the added payload but they haven't mentioned the 4" wheelbase stretch (even longer wheelbase than 2500). I am wondering how that is affecting towing for those who have done so. I would think it would help the tail wagging the dog to some extent. It's one thing Ford/Chevy has always had is a tad longer wheelbase (I think).

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm wondering if there is anyone here who has upgraded from the previous gen with a crew cab 6'4" truck to current gen crew cab 6'4" truck and has towed a longer 27'+ travel trailer.

People are talking about the added payload but they haven't mentioned the 4" wheelbase stretch (even longer wheelbase than 2500). I am wondering how that is affecting towing for those who have done so. I would think it would help the tail wagging the dog to some extent. It's one thing Ford/Chevy has always had is a tad longer wheelbase (I think).

4" is not going to affect your towing experience.

·
Registered
247 Posts

wouldn't a proper weight distribution hitch have more effect on 'tail wagging the dog'? I'm not a huge tower, but my buddies are pulling large, very nice trailers (houses on wheels) with 1500s and no sway on all kinds of makes/models of trucks. I haven't measured their travel trailers, but jeez they are huuge.

I usually pull the Harleys and they pull our 'house' if we're going on a huge Harley Vacation.......I don't see them swaying.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I don't have a '19, so I really can't answer your question.
However, I suspect the variable rate coils on the '19's will have more effect than the 4" wheelbase change. I tow a 31' TT tongue to tail and I have no sway issues to speak of. If the trailer is properly loaded and you have a good WDH with sway control, either truck will tow them fine.

The '19 Ram has a nearly identical wheelbase to a Silverado 1500.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4" is not going to affect your towing experience.
Maybe, maybe not. That's what I'm trying to determine.

wouldn't a proper weight distribution hitch have more effect on 'tail wagging the dog'? I'm not a huge tower, but my buddies are pulling large, very nice trailers (houses on wheels) with 1500s and no sway on all kinds of makes/models of trucks. I haven't measured their travel trailers, but jeez they are huuge.

I usually pull the Harleys and they pull our 'house' if we're going on a huge Harley Vacation.......I don't see them swaying.
Yes a properly adjusted WDH is a must however even I feel the back end of the truck move with my camper hooked up to our 2500 once in awhile. Unless you have one of the expensive hitches (Hensley, etc) I would be hard pressed to believe others don't experience the same. Maybe they don't want to admit it because they tow a large camper on the verge of being overweight for their truck I don't know.

I don't have a '19, so I really can't answer your question.
However, I suspect the variable rate coils on the '19's will have more effect than the 4" wheelbase change. I tow a 31' TT tongue to tail and I have no sway issues to speak of. If the trailer is properly loaded and you have a good WDH with sway control, either truck will tow them fine.

The '19 Ram has a nearly identical wheelbase to a Silverado 1500.
I realize the new Ram now as a similar wheelbase to the other guys. And the variable weight coils should definitely help with sag. I am just wondering if people have noticed any difference.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wheelbase is an important element in towing. The longer the trailer the more important. A longer wheelbase would enhance not detract from a longer trailer. For many of the reasons noted.

Here is a thread on all this and the "rule of thumb" around wheel base and trailer length. Take it for what it is worth. a "rule of thumb" is a guide not a set in stone thing you MUST do. http://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14088265.cfm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts