DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be doing some hauling this summer since I'm moving to a different city and I was wonder what my truck can handle. It's a 05 4.7 V8 without a hitch and it's 2wd. Should I get a addon hitch or a whole new receiver. What kind of weight could I be hauling

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
You probably already have cross beam, all you need is the receiver part that attaches to the cross member. They run about a hundred bucks. I would say anything around 5000 lbs or less you'll be ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Definitely get a proper hitch; I wouldn't trust the flimsy bumper mount. I put one on my 2wd standard cab and it was pretty easy. The only pain was using a pry bar and a block of wood to push out a big dent in the bumper that wasn't allowing the hitch to align into place (damn previous owner).

I was towing a 6x12 enclosed on several trips while moving. There are constant rolling hills around here and I found it seemed a lot easier on the truck to leave the OD off. I stayed in the right lane at about 60 - 65 and the 4.7 did fine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't go much over 5000 lbs. Especially if you have hills. If it's flat and level, you MIGHT be able to go up to 7000 lbs, but that's a lot of stress. More than that, it's less a matter of whether you can pull it(you probably can) but it becomes a matter of is it safe to stop it. Basically, you can pull almost any trailer U-Haul will rent to you. If you go bigger, you need to watch the amount of weight you add. Also proper weight distribution is key. 60% of weight should be in front of the axles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your owners manual will tell you what you can haul. I moved my son to the Richmond Va area from Oklahoma City pulling a Hertz car trailer with a Mustang on it. We made it and there were a lot of mountains to cross. That was over 10 years ago and we still have the truck. I agree that with heavy loads and/or hills you should leave the OD off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts