DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a '12 ram 1500 laramie 4x4 crew, 3.92 rear end and 20" wheels ect.

Issue I'm having is pulling my boat (98 robalo 21') is around 5k lbs and not real sure of the tongue weight but it makes the rear of the truck squat a few inches, are airbags the best way to go about getting it to not squat so much, the issue being that my spare on the trailer is nearly hitting the ground with it squatting this much, with my 2500 I had of course this was a non-issue

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes, airbags are the way to solve your problem IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had airbags on my 2005 Ram they were awesome. It kept the truck from bouncing and It made the truck feel alot safer with them on. I was towing a travel trailer apox.7500lbs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Forget the air bags, heres your answer. You need a Weight Distributing tow hitch. You put a massive looking shank into the receiver, it has the ball, then you attach two torsion bars into drop down bracketts that slip on the trailer tounge. It has a lever effect that distributes all the ball weight to all four tires of the truck. You can even add an additional anti sway bar if you feel its necessary. (can't back up without dis-connecting the optional anti-sway bar, 1 minute job) When I installed one on my 1500 the rear end does not squat when pulling a 3,000 loaded trailer, without it I had a drop of about 4 inches and it looked like it would scrape the ground. It tracks like a freight train and resists swaying when getting passed by big rigs. Call Curt mfg. and talk to a rep there he will tell you what size WDH you want, about $600. I found one on Craigs List for $60 and had to buy the trailer torsion bar receivers for another $75. It's an awesome set up. You have to set it up correctly, not hard, and raise up the trailer to install the torsion arm levers, then when you lower the trailer the truck does not settle, at all. My dad had this setup on a 1969 Mercury Cyclone to pull a boat so thats how I am familiar with this type of rig.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I use weight distribution because I have to AND air bags for fine tuned leveling and stability

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Do you just need a little more rise, or less drop, on your hitch. It seems like your truck should handle that kind of a tow without airbags or a WD hitch.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Having the ball weight evenly distributed on ALL four truck tires as well as the trailer tires is a huge benefit. Just towed 3,000 lbs on a 2005 4.7 ST over 1,500 miles and it was a non event. The stability and not having the front steering lightness cannot be equaled by air bags. Big loads need a big hitch. You have to set the ball height correctly on the shank, but when you lever the torsion bars on and lower the trailer, you'll see the truck does not sag and you become a believer. Tows like a stable freight train.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
i wouldnt think it would drop that considerable unless your packing the bed and then adding the boat to it.. are you stock height? dropped? perhaps a pic of what your talking about?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Boats are generally very well balanced on their trailers and with the weight of the motor well behind the axles it's hard to believe a 21' boat would need WD.
Although I am a firm believer and 100% user of WD, I think in this situation airbags are the all he needs. It's only 5K for goodness sake! That means -properly set up- it's only 500 lbs. on the ball.

I used to tow a 21' daycruiser with a 4.3L Chevy S-10 - no bags, no WD hitch and it was totally fine. that boat/trailer was right at 5K also... :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
248 Posts
When your truck & boat are loaded on flat level ground does the trailer look below level?
Meaning is the trailer level to the ground front to back & truck is squating?

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 on checking your setup before spending more cash on airbags or WD hitch...

When parked on flat ground, your trailer should be level no matter how far your truck squats. If its nose diving, you need a new ball mount with less drop. Once you get to that point, does your truck look nose high? If so, you may then want to look into an airbag/timbren/etc setup.

FWIW my 2011 CC 4x4 Sport is lifted 2.8" in the front via 5100's.. I towed my 24" Four Winns, which weighs about 8,600lbs fully rigged, all over the place today. My trailer is dead level and if the front wasn't lifted, the rear would still be a little higher than front. With my setup, the rear is about an inch low.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Wow, good point guys! I didn't consider that his ball might be set wrong!

So set the trailer on level ground, adjust the tongue height with the jack so that the frame rails are level and then measure from the ground to the top of the hitch (where the ball would be seated).
Then measure from the ground up to the top of the ball on your truck. IIRC, the ball on the truck should be a couple inches higher than the tongue on the trailer? Someone verify for me?

Anyway, if your ball is set to low, you're screwed up from the get-go

Air bags are still the cheapest, most useful add-on for a pickup truck :D

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
First and foremost, Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Josh and I have ALOT (I do mean alot) of experience towing and hauling heavy loads. Having been in the army, and on 3 combat tours, for the better part of a decade now, I have seen and driven just about everything there is to drive, from tanks, to Route Clearance Vehicles, to pickup trucks. Some are VERY heavy, and some are bone stock trucks guys like you and me drive everyday.

If you are towing a heavy trailer (which you can do just fine), you will notice something profound almost as soon as you set your trailer on your hitch. Your truck will go from raked (the front end lower than the rear), to squatting. Your coil springs will collapse under the weight, and while that does not pose a problem to your truck immediately, it can, over time. Towing a load as heavy as this with the 4th gen Ram requires some additional help, due to the smooth riding coil spring Multi-Link rear suspension. Coils were put in the ram because they ride smoother, but they are your worst enemy when towing/hauling heavy. Thats where the good folks at Total Load Control Suspensions come in. TLC John will not only hook you up with great customer service, but Ramforumz members even get discounted pricing on their kits. This system is designed and patented specifically for 2009+ Ram 1500's. It will work in conjuction with your coil springs to improve load handling, reduce wear and tear on your coil springs, and even helps with unladen ride comfort and stability.

Shoot me a message, or an email at [email protected] and we can get you on your way to comfortable and safe towing. Happy Travels!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
not a 5k load....but it should look something like this.....hauled a 5k uhaul (trailer and crap) from Utah to SoCal had to flip the ball for that one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 17 of 17 Posts