DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First time postin here. I am a die hard Ram guy.
I'm pretty confused about what my Ram's towing limit is. I have a 2009 Ram Quad Cab Big Horn with the 5.7 Hemi 51/2' bed. I contacted 2 dealerships to find out the trucks limits, one said they didnt know and the other said the truck can tow 10,000 normal with tow package or 12,000 pounds with weight distribution setup. That to me seems like a lot. I have a travel trailer that weighs 7,600 dry weight and I use a Reese weight distribution set up. I never plan on towing with liquids. Hopefully someone will know the truth so I have a peace of mind while towing. It seems to do fine just don't want any suprises. Also I normally keep 40 pounds of air in the tires all the time, should I add more with the heavy trailer?

Thank you for your help!!!

Craig

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
First, welcome to the forumz.
Second, yes, 40 psi is light for that much weight, I'd go near max pressure while towing and upgrade to D rated tires when the time comes for better stability while towing.
Third, what gear ratio you have will play a major role in determining the weight. Look at the chart here for an idea of your capacity, but be forewarned, you likely won't be pleased:
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2009/docs/dr/mlup1500.pdf

Click this link, select "Lookup my vehicle" on the middle right to enter your VIN and Ram will tell you approximately what your capability is.
https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

The 7600 pounds dry weight; is that the mfg listed dry weight or is that you crossing the scales with the camper loaded, minus water? Typically dry weight is a mfg spec for no propane, no water, no pots, no food, etc. The reason I ask isn't because I don't think you know what dry weight is, but because 7600# for a bumper pull camper is quite a bit. What camper are you towing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response.
I did forget to mention it is a 1500. I will check the gear ratio.

I do now dry weight. No liquids and empty with nothing loaded. It is a 2008 32 foot Keystone Outback Sydney Edition 32bhds.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Nice trailer, the second slide will certainly add a couple pounds, but I bet it's great having it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah the campers really good. Bought it second-hand virtually brand-new inside only thing wrong in the outside of the decals there curling up from being out in the sun but I'm going to strip them all down and redo it. I just watched some old videos on YouTube from Kelley Blue Book as well as roadandtrack and they're saying that I have a 9600 pound towing capacity. So I should be good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts