DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering what other people are getiing for mileage while towing a travel trailer. My trailer weighs around 4200 lbs loaded. I just came back from a trip close to 500 miles using my tow haul only and got 13 mpg. Or 21.5L/ 100 km Didn't think it was that bad.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yea that sounds about right. I towed a 24 foot, 6,000 pound enclosed trailer from RI to Washington DC and back with lots of Highway and city and my mileage was around 10 to 13 mpg.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Pulling around 9 mpg towing a 23 foot travel trailer. I'd love to get 13!!
Me too! I've had it as low as 7 mpg and as high as 10 mpg pulling my travel trailer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i Guess i have nothing to complain about. I used my tow haul selector and once i got going on a flat run it held in fourth gear. I was using 89 octane. truck runs and pulls much better with better gas

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got home from another trip. Average was 20.0L/100km. set the cruise at 98km/h or 60 mph. it went through the gears and held in fourth most of the way

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pulling a 8000# travel trailer getting around 9-10mpg.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am pulling a 6,800 lb boat and trailer and get 18.1mpg per the computer. I get about 21 around town and 25 highway. The key is to pretend there is an egg between your foot and the pedal for the best fuel mileage. Yes it is a diesel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Towed for the first time with my 2010 Ram (4x4 Hemi w/3.55). Pulled a 26" camper (4500 lbs) through ND and averaged 9 MPG. I did have a stiff crosswind, but overall, I'm happy with the fuel economy. Of course, I used this bit of knowledge to further my argument with my wife for different gears or a CTD! :smileup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just completed a round trip best I got was 10.9 to the gallon and worst I got was 7.7 miles per. Am an old school guy and mechanic working it out in Litres per 100 kilometres doesn't tell me anything. By the way towing about 5100 pounds when fully loaded and have some wicked hills here in Beautiful British Columbia. I have learnt a lesson though stay off the Coke(Hwy 5). 5a is just fine and the old TC Hwy 1 works great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just got a 2007 4.7L and finished a roughly 2500km trip towing a 3000 lb trailer. My millage was brutal in my opinion (although there was a lot of mountain driving). I was between 20-25 L/100km the entire trip.

My 2008 trailblazer with a 4.2L I6 gives me WAY better mileage towing that exact trailer.

lol...I still love the truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Towing a 3,500 lb Ford Focus on a 700 lb dolly, I get 14-15 mpg with a Hemi on flat terrain. In the mountains, I average 12-13.

The next time I tow that car, I will be flat towing it, so I expect to get better mileage.

RK

·
Registered
21 Posts
Last week round trip to Ocala and back 200 miles we averaged 10.5 mpg pulling our 6500lb two horse gooseneck. About 1 mpg better than the 1500 we traded in and the 2500 is an incredibly better towing rig. I never really felt safe towing our gooseneck with the 1500.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts