DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a low mileage 2004 Ram CC 1500 5.7L with 20" wheels and a 3.92 rear end. It drives fine when not towing. But I bought it to tow a 6500 lb travel trailer. I previously owned and drove a 2006 4Runner with a 4.7L V8. The 4Runner pulled the trailer on one trip to Florida OK, but the shorter wheelbase and car weight were not enough for pulling this size trailer safely. Thus the Ram 1500. The Ram 5.7 obviously has more torque and power and is more stable at the job, but I'm terribly disappointed in the inability to control the power delivery smoothly when towing like I like to drive. The transmission even in tow mode, drops into overdrive when it never should and lugs down to 1800 RPM at 65 MPH. In order to downshift you have to almost floor the engine, then it shifts down 2 gears and revs like crazy. Letting it downshift automatically when towing is a frustration. It cycles between 2 lower gears before it settles at too low an RPM. When starting from a stop with easy acceleration it stays in 2nd far to long. You have to take your foot completely off the gas to get it to shift up. There doesn't seem to be any happy median for towing. Gas mileage is a poor 9.5 MPG at 65MPH. The 4.7L Toyota was smooth as silk in downshifting and cruising, plus I had good manual control over it when I needed, but the stability wasn't good. Gas mileage for the 4Runner with the same trailer was 11 to 12 MPG. Question: Is the above Ram towing performance normal, or is there anything that can be done to improve the situation? If not, I'll probably have to dump the Ram for something else.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Get a Sonnax line pressure booster. Next get a Diablo tuner and a (hemifever) custom tune. Even better, get a sidewinder or an Inertia "Crazy Jay" cam. It will tow like a locomotive. I've towed trailers over 15,000 lbs with my 1500. Check out my signature. Be patient, once you stumble on the right setup, you'll never look back. BTW, I used to tow with a supercharged Tacoma, my Ram is 10X better with 2X the trailer weight. Freeing up the exhaust, helps a lot, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts