DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my experience towing with my new Ram 2500 Hemi. I've got a 6000lb boat and the truck did great. Two things I noticed that are gonna take some getting used to. There's a huge lag between 1st and 2nd and when going slow shfting down, it's pretty rough. Anyone else have experience with towing with this setup?

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
What you are noticing is normal. :)
In tow/haul mode, the trans shift schedule is altered to allow more RPM's before shifting to ensure you have the power available without lugging. It also forces the trans to downshift sooner to aid in slowing the vehicle and reducing the wear on the brakes. As I do a lot of trailer pulling, I notice this often and really like the way it works. :)

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
So here's my experience towing with my new Ram 2500 Hemi. I've got a 6000lb boat and the truck did great. Two things I noticed that are gonna take some getting used to. There's a huge lag between 1st and 2nd and when going slow shfting down, it's pretty rough. Anyone else have experience with towing with this setup?

What MPG where u getting while towing?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Yeah was towing my 21 foot open trailer with my ranger and rzr on it and was only avg 7-9 mpg. That was going up and down mountains from here just to get out of town there is an 8% grade and I was only getting 5mpg up that stretch for the first 15 miles.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What gears are ya running? Hey Mirboy how do you like the fastman? I have one just have not put it on yet.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
3.55's and the fastman is real easy install love it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
What you are noticing is normal. :)
In tow/haul mode, the trans shift schedule is altered to allow more RPM's before shifting to ensure you have the power available without lugging. It also forces the trans to downshift sooner to aid in slowing the vehicle and reducing the wear on the brakes. As I do a lot of trailer pulling, I notice this often and really like the way it works. :)
Yeah, I like that earlier downshift too. The trip I'm on right now is in the Texas hill country, and it was an appreciated feature that I hadn't noticed towing in flatter areas when towing the travel trailer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts