DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a question. I am currently in Florida and I’m moving up to Connecticut next week. I planned on towing my girlfriends car (2008 Kia Rio) since she’s not very comfortable with long drives.

Is it a good idea to tow her car with my truck? I have a 2017 1500 Trademen Hemi with the 3.21 rear. I know it’s not the ideal gearing but I was just curious if anyone has had experience in towing a vehicle with it and the mpg I should expect (I was thinking around 7.5-8mpg).

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,593 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem, your Tradesman & the Hemi will do fine. Are you towing just the vehicle, with all 4 tires on the ground? Are you renting a car dolly (the front tires off the ground), or maybe a car trailer (all 4 tires off the ground)? Either way it really shouldn't be a problem.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,245 Posts
A quick google search tells me a 2008 Kia Rio weighs about 2,400 lbs. As Tred said, it would also be helpful to know how or what you are using to transport the car itself on. Also, do you plan on loading up your truck and the car with stuff? Does your truck have the 8 or 6 speed transmission and also what is your cab configuration? 4wd or 2wd truck? There are just so many variables and not enough information in your post to give a precise answer.

But in short, I'd be surprised if you are surpassing the payload and tow rating of your truck if just towing this car on a uhaul trailer and not loading down your bed or the car with a ton of stuff. Have a safe trip!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
If you are thinking of using a car dolly (just front tires on the dolly), look at the max speed rating for the dolly. Most are max speed rated at 55 mph.
55 mph and I 95 would not be a good combo :)

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
A Uhaul car hauler trailer weighs 2200# and the Rio weighs about 2400#.
A tow dolly weighs 750#.
Either way, the hemi, 8 speed, and 3.21 gears won't have any problems with the weight. (IIRC only fleet trucks had a 6 speed).
You should expect around 11 mpg, maybe better. I was able to average around 11 mpg towing a 5000# camper almost cross-country and back, which has the aerodynamics of towing a parachute.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys I have a question. I am currently in Florida and I’m moving up to Connecticut next week.
My question to you would be WHY??? You'll be moving from some of the lowest taxes in the country to among the top 5 in the country (depending on tax sometimes we even make number 1). Most people are looking to get out of this tax hole. It's very rare to hear about someone wanting to come in.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
My question to you would be WHY??? You'll be moving from some of the lowest taxes in the country to among the top 5 in the country (depending on tax sometimes we even make number 1). Most people are looking to get out of this tax hole. It's very rare to hear about someone wanting to come in.
LOL, yeah, I was born and raised in CT, next town over from you actually (Terryville / Plymouth) and I had no reason to stay. High taxes, plenty of traffic, high taxes, high taxes, and poor government. After moving to California, I decided I wanted to come back to New England but settled on New Hampshire.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Your Ram will handle that load & trip easily
IF you Flat Tow or Dolly Tow that KIA, it better have a stick shift or a disconnected drive shaft, or you might tear up the transmission
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week from tomorrow i will be leaving Sandy Hook Ct., my vacation is almost over
Heading back to San Diego Ca
Both places are highly taxed & i can't say enough bad things about Jerry Brown, California's Governor & his train to nowhere & the recent Gasoline Tax on a Tax, 12 cents added per gallon of gas & almost $100 boost in Vehicle Registrations

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Your truck will be fine towing that load, its well within the capability of most any half ton pickup.

I move where I'm told every 3 years but I do my best to avoid the Left Coast and North East. Lots of policies in those places are antithetical to American values

1 - 12 of 12 Posts