DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been reading through the threads and apologize if I am duplicating with this one. I found a decent deal on a truck which has everything I want, and then some, but it has the 3.21 axle. With the 8-sp, will the 3.21 handle towing a 6,000lb trailer up some decent hills? I have a mile long hill to my house which I would tow up a few times each month and also plan on towing over mountain passes a couple times a year. The VAST majority of my driving will be hauling kids to and from school/soccer/whatever.

For reference, I'm looking at a 2013 Longhorn with 8 speed. Also has ramboxes so I know my capacity is getting tight with all the longhorn goodies plus RB. Also for reference, I'm a compete novice on trailering so I have not much clue on gears and towing impact - feel free to set me straight!

Thanks,

·
Registered
161 Posts
If that is a hemi engine, it will probably handle 6k lbs okay. I've towed my 25' travel trailer all over with my 3.9L V6 Dakota. I would prefer a higher ratio though if I cold get it. What's the next one up, 3.92 or something? Or 3.55?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that is a hemi engine, it will probably handle 6k lbs okay. I've towed my 25' travel trailer all over with my 3.9L V6 Dakota. I would prefer a higher ratio though if I cold get it. What's the next one up, 3.92 or something? Or 3.55?
3.55 is the next up and I believe that is actually the standard build so the dealer custom ordered 3.21 i believe.

After 3.55 you move up to 3.92, nice thread discussing 3.55 v 3.92 just a little below this one.

** Yes, this would be the Hemi

·
Registered
161 Posts
Actually, when I said higher ratio, I really meant HIGHER numbers - the higher the number, the lower the ratio. Lower ratio means more towing power, less strain on drive train under towing pressure. Confused yet?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Max trailer weight of that config is 6450 in 4x2, and 6400 in 4x4.

Since you're near the limit you might consider the 3.55 which bumps it to 8500 4x2 and 8250 4x4.

Edit: rambox removes 100 lb from those figures. Didn't see the separate section for them.

Edit 2: don't forget to subtract the passenger and cab cargo weight from the figures too! Sounds like you need 3.55...

Source: http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/pdf/2013-RAM.1500.Towing.Specs.pdf

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really appreciate the info and the link to weight/configuration numbers. I've been struggling a bit because the Longhorn is a bit more loaded than I want yet is priced competitive with a Laramie I'm looking at. The numbers in that sheet give me a great picture of what I would give up with the LH when it comes to payload and towing. I guess I'm buying a truck to tow so I should probably get a config which can tow decently. Probably going to push the LH out of my brain and take a couple hundred extra pounds of payload capacity and switch to 3.92 so I can tow a bit more whenever needed. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, when I said higher ratio, I really meant HIGHER numbers - the higher the number, the lower the ratio. Lower ratio means more towing power, less strain on drive train under towing pressure. Confused yet?
LOL heck yes I'm confused, but that's pretty common for me so I'm used to it :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That towing guide is cool, I had played with it before but just now realized you can drop a VIN into it and get the payload and towing for the specific rigs I'm looking at. Thanks!

Spoke too soon, the VIN tool doesn't seem to work for the 'on the lot' trucks I just plugged into it. Oh well, the other tool does a fine job of comparing the axle differences yay!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Hi All,

I have been reading through the threads and apologize if I am duplicating with this one. I found a decent deal on a truck which has everything I want, and then some, but it has the 3.21 axle. With the 8-sp, will the 3.21 handle towing a 6,000lb trailer up some decent hills? I have a mile long hill to my house which I would tow up a few times each month and also plan on towing over mountain passes a couple times a year. The VAST majority of my driving will be hauling kids to and from school/soccer/whatever.

For reference, I'm looking at a 2013 Longhorn with 8 speed. Also has ramboxes so I know my capacity is getting tight with all the longhorn goodies plus RB. Also for reference, I'm a compete novice on trailering so I have not much clue on gears and towing impact - feel free to set me straight!

Thanks,
You didn't state the degrees of incline but I think you will be fine. I have the eight speed with 3:21 gears and tow about 5,700 pounds. The eight speed makes it child's play to start from a stop when towing. Going up an incline I would use the tow/haul mode if the transmission starts hunting for a gear albeit, Chrysler said the eight speeds brains are smart and tow/haul mode is almost obsolete.

I have only towed once and a short distance at that, it was to test out the RAM's towing ability based on my needs.

3.55 is the next up and I believe that is actually the standard build so the dealer custom ordered 3.21 i believe.

After 3.55 you move up to 3.92, nice thread discussing 3.55 v 3.92 just a little below this one.

** Yes, this would be the Hemi
Standard build is 3:21s when equipped with the eight speed transmission, 3:55s is standard with the six speed transmission. If a dealer ordered none standard gearing it will show on the window sticker as a $50 charge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just ordered a V6 SLT and wanted the 3.21 but the order system wouldn't allow it. I figured it was a parts shortage, but now I'm wondering if it was because of the other options I got. Rambox, hitch, and 2wd. Had to settle for the 3.55 which maybe a good thing, now that I've been educated by the kind folks here on the forum.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I just ordered a V6 SLT and wanted the 3.21 but the order system wouldn't allow it. I figured it was a parts shortage, but now I'm wondering if it was because of the other options I got. Rambox, hitch, and 2wd. Had to settle for the 3.55 which maybe a good thing, now that I've been educated by the kind folks here on the forum.
I don't know what the standard axle ratio is for the V6 engines but here are the sales codes for all axle ratios:

DMC
3.21 REAR AXLE RATIO
DMD
3.55 REAR AXLE RATIO
DMF
4.10 REAR AXLE RATIO
DMH
3.92 REAR AXLE RATIO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts