DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a leveling kit or a 2" lift on my 1500 and putting 33" or 35" tires on. I know big lifts and big tires will really affect your handling and braking with a trailer. But how would a smaller job like this affect it? I believe my truck is rated for a little over 10k towing, would I still be able to handle that much with this setup?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Increasing tire size increases leverage against your driveline, so the short answer is no, it reduces your truck's ability to tow as much weight. By how much I am not sure exactly.

I think the bigger issue is stability though, lifts are tailored towards softer springs that allow more suspension travel and greater articulation, because tha'ts what you want off road. Conversely, a hauler like a dually has a very harsh ride unloaded because the springs are designed for a constant load and supporting heavy weight. That is why, for all the power it makes, the Raptor has like a 900 lb payload. I used to work with a guy who had a crew cab Raptor with a camper shell; with his wife and son in it I am sure he was close to max payload. Similarly, the Power Wagon has a payload of around 1500 lbs, which is what my 1500s payload is, though nominally its a 3/4 ton.

Now a level would be a bit different because you are keeping the same spring rates and just setting the front spring perch higher (assuming you do Bilstein 5100s). With that however, any time you have a substantial load you'll be looking at the sky and taking weight off the front wheels which can affect steering. That is why trucks come from the factory with a rake.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm considering a leveling kit or a 2" lift on my 1500 and putting 33" or 35" tires on. I know big lifts and big tires will really affect your handling and braking with a trailer. But how would a smaller job like this affect it? I believe my truck is rated for a little over 10k towing, would I still be able to handle that much with this setup?
First off What gear do you have? The 10,000 claim is a standard number for advertising but not on all trucks. higher gear, cab size and such changes this number. Plus with any taller gear comes higher gear ratio. so towing power decreases. But IMO a 1500 shouldn't be towing 10,000 lbs. 8000 is a fair peak. But please that is just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
First off What gear do you have? The 10,000 claim is a standard number for advertising but not on all trucks. higher gear, cab size and such changes this number. Plus with any taller gear comes higher gear ratio. so towing power decreases. But IMO a 1500 shouldn't be towing 10,000 lbs. 8000 is a fair peak. But please that is just my opinion.
If I had 3.92s and needed to tow 10k once or twice, but I agree that for regular towing of over 8000 lbs and HD should be used.

I assumed from the OPs post saying that he can tow 10k he has 3.92s

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it has the 3.92. I only tow a few times a year, and usually that 10,000lbs is total between trailer, passengers, etc. The problems you all mentioned are the issues I was concerned about. I was hoping someone had some insight on what they felt a safe max load would be with that type of setup. I'd considered adding another leaf spring if I put on the leveling kit. I don't need any crazy off road truck, but a little bit more space under the front bumper would be nice when driving around the farm

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,245 Posts
I only tow a few times a year, and usually that 10,000lbs is total between trailer, passengers, etc.

I'd considered adding another leaf spring
Based on the fact you only tow a couple of times a year, I wouldn't let that stop me from doing a lift if I really wanted one. My last truck had a 6" lift on it, still towed fine for what I needed, which was a 23' Chris Craft at the time. Just have to accept the fact it's going to use more gas and work harder to get that load moving if you get bigger tires as well.

But I do have to ask, adding another leaf spring to your Ram? :4-dontknow:

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
It's probably worth mentioning that "lifts ain't lifts" ... there are tons of different ways to lift a truck and some are better than others. Pretty safe to say that the more you're asking of the truck the more it matters what kind of quality you put into your modifications.

ICON lift coils are progressive rate and are heavier for the 2nd rate than stock, for example so they might be better with towing than using stock coils with a spacer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts