DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Has anyone else noticed the TPMS reads a little on the heavy side? I have set all my tires to 36psi on my gauge (20" rims) yet the TPMS is reading 40-41psi.

Also, does anyone bother trailing back to the dealer for nitrogen top-ups? My truck came with nitrogen - but I remain unconvinced of the benefits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My TPMS seems to be right on, at least within a pound of what my gauge says.
I really think that nitrogen in a truck tire is kind of a waste...when I used to race cars, it was more stable and did not gain as much when the tire got hot, but that was only after the tires were mounted and purged completly 3 or 4 times with nitrogen.

If you like to run nitrogen, your local welding shop can get a bottle for you for about $40 US. That is enough to fill up about 60 tires!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you - not a bad tip. I'm pretty festidious about my tires so I'm not convinced the nitrogen is going to be worth the extra cash. I'll do anything to avoid going to the dealership though...

I noticed today that checking them after driving, or during driving, seems to give much more accurate results from the TPMS. Sitting on my driveway it was reading between 38 - 42 for all tires. After a few hundred yds they'd all settled down to 38, which seems to be in line with what my gauge said also.

Beats me why they were at 40psi from the factory still... maybe they were expecting it to be much colder in Canada :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Whats the lowest pressure you can run all four tires b-4 warning light comes on? I'm an old guy just looking for a smoother ride.:shy:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure but I wouldn't want to find out either. Aside from giving you an ever so slightly smoother ride, incorrect tire pressure will result in uneven wear (outside of the tire if it's under-inflated, inside of the tire if over-inflated), less stable cornering and general handling, and an increased risk of blowout or sidewall damage. Just my 2c but I wouldn't recommend this route.

You might be better off exploring a different type or brand of tire or even modifications to the suspension setup. A different brand of tire is likely to give you bigger reductions in road noise than perhaps a smoother ride but everything is a balance between traction, wear rate and road noise. I don't know much about the suspension setup but I would imagine you could get softer springs? Also - what size wheels do you have on your truck? The 20' wheels are likely to offer a much more unforgiving ride over potholes than the 17' wheels.

·
Registered
190 Posts
They are 20" and I am "old enough":LOL: to know about everything you stated in your first paragraph. It was just a general question. Maybe I should have posted it in General or Technical.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
65arboc, i see no point in telling you smaller rims and a larger sidewall will give a much ride as that is common knowledge. without making any real changes, running your tires at the lowest level on the door panel is imho the best safest way to get the smoothest ride out of your truck. some will will max out the front tires and lower the rear tire pressure, unless they are towing, and seem to like the ride better. i stay at the upper levels for better mpgs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi guys,

Has anyone else noticed the TPMS reads a little on the heavy side? I have set all my tires to 36psi on my gauge (20" rims) yet the TPMS is reading 40-41psi.

Also, does anyone bother trailing back to the dealer for nitrogen top-ups? My truck came with nitrogen - but I remain unconvinced of the benefits.
The science teacher explanation Nitrogen is lighter than Oxygen. Compressed air in tires is simply a mixture of a variety of different gases. Although Oxygen is heavier its mass is much more compact. As a result the oxygen in compressed air leaks out much more quickly due to is smaller molecular size. As the air warms up the molecules move faster resulting in more molecules escaping.

Nitrogen does not escape as easily which makes it the preferred choice especially if you do a lot of long term driving and your tires heat up or you live in an area where it is always hot. Another nice thing about Nitrogen is that its is less susceptible to pressure changes due to temperature so you end up with a more stable pressure in your tires.

You are not going to see massive difference between the two, I have Nitro-fill from my purchasing dealer, but the place I get serviced at doesn't have it. They use a generic brand. Personally I don't worry about it too much and won't make a special trip. If you check your pressure regularly it won't make much of a difference. It is more of a convenience thing for people who are absent minded and never check their tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We use nitrogen at the dealership that I work at and I am a firm believer it is all a scam. Natural atmosphere is 78% nitrogen and we are bringing them up to about 90%, how much do you think 12% nitrogen additive is really going to help? The only real upside is it is something to brag to customers about and we don't charge for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts