DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TPMS dash light has been flashing on lately. Usually in the past, I would check the PSI on all tires and inflate/deflate them to proper PSI as stated on the inside sticker of my driver's door, and then drive a little so that it resets back to normal.

Lately, after doing all PSI checks and normalization, the system won't reset itself and the TPMS light stays on, even after 30 minutes of driving.

The rear left tire is showing a solid red color and no PSI reading while the other 3 are showing a PSI reading.

I have a TPMS sensor scan tool (Autel TS601) and when I scan the rear right tire, it says the sensor and battery is OK. It will also show the PSI the tire is currently at. I also did a diagnostic check and the tool didn't find anything, no codes to report, since it detected all sensors.

Sometimes the rear left will show PSI reading, sometimes it will go red. Lately, it has been more red than having the PSI number.

Does the red mean that the sensor is bad and needs replacement?

When I start the truck, the TPMS dash light will blink, and then stay solid after 20-30 secs.

I scanned the spare tire, which seems to have no sensor because the scan tool isn't picking up any signal.

As a background, I got this truck in January 2017 and it is a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn. I've read online that sensors tend to last anywhere from 5-10 years. It will be over 5 years now for the OEM sensors, so I'm thinking the batteries are starting to die out.

I am planning to replace all 4 of them (Autel mx 1 sensors) since they will eventually die out around the same time anyways.

Another thing I notice is when I check the PSI with my external gauge, the PSI the truck is giving on the dashboard is 1-2 PSI more. For example, my external gauge is saying 39 PSI while the dashboard is saying 40-41 PSI before driving. I have 3 external gauges ( 2 digital, 1 dial gauge), and the external ones are more accurate with each other, but the dash board PSI seems the most inaccurate.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
When the dash is showing solid red will your scan tool show its working at the same time the dash is showing red?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the dash is showing solid red will your scan tool show its working at the same time the dash is showing red?
Yes, the scan tool receives the signal from the sensor and all the sensor info shows up: PSI, temp, sensor status ok, battery ok, etc...

This is even when the rear right wheel is showing a solid red icon in the tire and no PSI reading.

So does this mean the sensor is still good and something else in the TPMS system is malfunctioning?

I also did a diagnostic test scan when the solid red light and the TPMS light is on the dashboard, but the scan tool didn't report any codes or any errors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts