DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, has anyone had issues with the TPMS system when adding a wider wheel and larger tire to their Ram 1500? I recently upgraded to 20X10 wheels with -19 offset and 295 60R20 tires and have an error "Service TPMS System" message on the dash now.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
My 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi had issues when I put aftermarket rims and tires plus aftermarket sensors. The system would read the tire pressure's but for a long time it would read the wrong wheel location on the truck, how it had issues with the wheel location I don't know, but it finally started reading the correct tire location for each tire but the yellow light could never be turned off, you could air the rear tires up to 80 PSI and the yellow light would remain on.

I just ignored the yellow light. Plus the tires did not need 80 PSI so they were aired down to the proper pressure which was between 45 PSI to 50 PSI for the rears for even tire wear, and 55 PSI to 60 PSI on the fronts for even tire wear.

I took the truck in to the dealer for a recall once and the dealer took it upon themselves to add the TPMS to the work order, in the end the dealer documented on the work order aftermarket tires, rims and sensors unable to calibrate.

Honda has the best tire pressure monitoring system, they do not read the actual tire pressure so no battery powered sensors to fool with, instead Honda uses a wheel sensor that monitors wheel rotation speed, if you are under pressure the wheel sensor picks up the difference in wheel rotation speed, if you over inflate the tire to much it will also read the difference in wheel rotation speed.

Many tire dealers try to sell Honda owners new tire pressure sensors when Honda does not even use a tire pressure sensor.

I could care less about reading the tire pressure on the dash display, I have a tire pressure gauge and I check my tire pressures myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same issue when I changed my rims but it turned out that the tire store installed one sensor incorrectly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts