DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought my 2006 ram 1500 slt 4x4 with 105,000 miles about three weeks ago. My wife works at a pawn shop and called to tell me about the truck that just came out of pawn that day. I went to see it and really liked the look of it, drove it and it ran great, had an independent mechanic look it over, checked the carfax (clean), and the seller (my wifes boss) had a price of $13000 but sold it to me for only $9000. I'm very happy with the truck except for the payload and towing capacity. It's the 4.7l with 3.55 gears. I want to get a truck camper but realize that there are not a lot of options for the setup I have.

So I guess my question is, should I trade or sell my truck maybe for a slightly older 2500 or 3500 series? Most of the rams on autotrader in my area with comparable year, miles, and trim are going for $2500-$4000 more than what I paid.

What would you do?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
If you don't have to use your current truck as a daily driver, sell her and get the best bang for the buck. Once sold you can then take the time to search for a good 25 or 3500.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
If you don't have to use your current truck as a daily driver, sell her and get the best bang for the buck. Once sold you can then take the time to search for a good 25 or 3500.
^^^^ I was thinking along the same lines. If you can get more than you paid for it I say sell it and get what you need.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I think that i would have jumped on the same deal that you did

Now that you have it, clean it up & put a sign in the rear window, where it is legal & drive it around as needed

For Sale or Trade

1500s are not recommended for use with a slide in camper
an older truck that has leaf springs is better suited
that is why they recommend a 2500 or 3500 model

Now is the time to pick up some knowledge, so when you are ready to upgrade, you will have a better idea what to look for

Good Luck

·
Registered
427 Posts
Stump3r makes a good point. If you sell it you could make a nice profit. The deal you got on it puts you in pretty good shape.

·
Administrator
2017 Ram Rebel 5.7L Flame Red
42,016 Posts
Sounds like a good investment already if you can turn it around and get more then what you paid and then get what you need for only a little more of your own cash input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, Thanks guys. I know that I should have done more research but it was a deal I couldn't pass on. Besides I didn't start looking into truck campers until after I got the truck. This is my first truck and I'm really enjoying it! I can always go with a travel trailer until I upgrade to something with a bigger payload. This is a great forum by the way!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd say put the sign in the back and keep an eye out for another good deal. There's no good reason you couldn't trade it in for a little bit older model or something like that. I flip things all the time, a little work to make it more appealing and some patience in selling it, you could turn enough profit for a good down payment on another one.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I just bought a 3/4 ton about 4 months ago, and I like it. You will pay more for a 3/4 ton with a gas engine, and a lot more for a 3/4 ton with a diesel, but if you need it, its well worth it to step up to a 3/4 or 1 ton.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sounds like you got a great deal on the truck and it seems to be in good shape from what you say. So my question before you get into an unknow is why do you specifically want a truck bed camper? You mentioned getting a camper trailer in the mean time; is there a reason that wouldn't work as your long term solution?

If the truck camper would only be used occasionally is it worth getting rid of the deal you have? Just asking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts