DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I love driving my truck and have had no significant problems with it, I arranged to trade it on Wednesday for a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I simply don't need the truck at this point and the truck is a really tight fit in our current garage. So I will be back in a Grand Cherokee in 6 to 10 weeks. In the mean time, I can still drive the truck until the Jeep arrives. And I also have the option of selling it privately and pocketing the difference.

The story is that during the 2 hour drive up to the dealer in Phoenix, the check engine light came on. Just my luck. They are going to evaluate it as a trade-in, and the damned CEL will be on. But this is my third go around with the CEL and I knew the drill by now. Excessive voltage detected by the fuel gauge. This only happens to me with a full tank, on a bumpy section of road. Several key cycles will turn the CEL off again. So during the trip, I pulled over twice to cycle the key a few times. No luck. I was resigned to having to explain to the dealer why the CEL was on. When we arrived at the dealership, I shut off the engine and decided to give it one more try. Key on...and the CEL was no longer illuminated. I thanked The Deity, and we went into the dealership to meet our salesman. Sure enough, during the trade-in evaluation the CEL remained off and everything went well.
Anyhow, I just wanted to thank everyone on the forum with whom I have had discussions...especially Thunderhorse and Rambunkshuss...for helping me straighten out the few minor issues that I have had with the truck.
I will soon be offering for sale a couple of item that I won't need anymore. A cell phone holder and a pair of cab air filters that are for this model Ram.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Thanks for letting us know, and be sure to tell us how you like the Jeep!

·
Registered
511 Posts
My wife drives a 2014 Grand Cherokee, only slightly different compared to the newer models, and she loves hers. I am willing to bet you'll like yours too. She won't even consider any other vehicles until the new redesigned Grand Cherokees come out.

Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah my wife loves her Durango, which is good because I told her she's not getting another vehicle until at least 2025 lol. Its basically a 3 row version of the Grand Cherokee

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is the Limited in Bright White with Offroad Adventure II Package and 9 speaker Alpine stereo upgrade. The OA II package includes Trailer Tow 4 package, skid plates, Quadratrac II, Quadradrive, and some other stuff. I'm psyched! Hopefully I will get the VIN this week.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Living near Phoenix, you need a SRT Jeep to outrun the Haboobs

I got caught up in one at the end of last August near Eloy & Casa Grande Az.
I spotted it while driving by Picacho Peak
It was dusty enough that i didn't even see the Ostrich Farm
Then i started spotting the accidents as i approached Casa Grande

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wife has a 2018 Grand and when I rarely drive it, it is a great riding car and has a good go/power for a six. The one thing that bites me in the ass and I just hate is the feature that turns off the engine off at every stop! There is a dash button to eliminate this but I never remember to push it until it bites me. If this happens to you and you do not like it, there is an aftermarket gizmo that plugs into the OBD and it keeps the feature turned off.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Wife has a 2018 Grand and when I rarely drive it, it is a great riding car and has a good go/power for a six. The one thing that bites me in the ass and I just hate is the feature that turns off the engine off at every stop! There is a dash button to eliminate this but I never remember to push it until it bites me. If this happens to you and you do not like it, there is an aftermarket gizmo that plugs into the OBD and it keeps the feature turned off.
My mom's 2017 Durango has that too. Makes me glad I got a 15, which was the last year that didn't have stop start

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tip. If you have any more info about the Gizmo, I'd like to hear about it. I was wondering about that myself. I did drive a Trailhawk recently, but did not notice the stop/start feature.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Does your mom complain about the stop/start?

She actually doesn't mind it, but my dad really hates it. He'd rather hit the button every time than pay money for the OBD Genie though

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Ford has it on a lot of vehicles too. The 2.7L EcoBoosts have it; if the 3.5s don't I wouldn't be surprised if they do in a couple years

·
Registered
115 Posts
I get rental cars with start/stop a lot and I despise it. I find a way to over ride it as a priority.

I'm curious: Do these actually maintain AC and heat more than a minute just off of the battery? I know stoplights aren't that long all the time but I gotta believe these don't do well for longer idling in traffic or in extremes of outdoor temps. Does the motor restart cued from the temp changing inside the vehicle?
I'm also amazed batteries can take the load. Makes me think after 3 or 4 years that these systems become far less efficient...which conveniently corresponds to typical warranties and manufacturer's coverage ending.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She actually doesn't mind it, but my dad really hates it. He'd rather hit the button every time than pay money for the OBD Genie though
By "OBD Genie", are you referring to the device called 'Smart stop/Start'? It is a plug-in that is interposed into the connection under the drivers's seat.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I get rental cars with start/stop a lot and I despise it. I find a way to over ride it as a priority.

I'm curious: Do these actually maintain AC and heat more than a minute just off of the battery? I know stoplights aren't that long all the time but I gotta believe these don't do well for longer idling in traffic or in extremes of outdoor temps. Does the motor restart cued from the temp changing inside the vehicle?
I'm also amazed batteries can take the load. Makes me think after 3 or 4 years that these systems become far less efficient...which conveniently corresponds to typical warranties and manufacturer's coverage ending.

If you're at a light in one and you crank up the AC then it will turn on the engine. They all use AGM batteries, but yeah I do wonder about the longevity

By "OBD Genie", are you referring to the device called 'Smart stop/Start'? It is a plug-in that is interposed into the connection under the drivers's seat.

Yeah, there may be a couple different ones out there. Plugs into the OBD II port

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Ford has it on a lot of vehicles too. The 2.7L EcoBoosts have it; if the 3.5s don't I wouldn't be surprised if they do in a couple years
The 2018 Expedition I rented was a 3.5 with the start/stop tech. If you turn it to sport mode it disables the tech and there's also the override button on the dash.I didn't use tow/haul, but I suspect tow/haul would disable the start/stop also.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts

The lights dim and the AC airflow decreases noticeably while at stoplights. IIRC, turning to Max AC may not allow the vehicle to engine to shut down at stop lights, but it is a bit of an annoyance. We were in CA driving an Expedition recently and the stop/start tech was annoying due to the long stop lights and frequent stopping. The delay between the brake pedal release and engine restarting wasn't long, but it's still there and irritated my wife.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts