DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020 Colorado just dont have the room and I like the 2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel, good looking truck. Anything I need to know about before I make the move?

Thanks in Advance

Brian T

·
Registered
863 Posts
Only thing I know of rite off hand is the Eco Diesels have a mass recall on Egr and no parts available.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The Gen3 ecodiesel is not part of the recall, that is only for the Gen2 ecodiesel.

I just bought a left over 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie ecodiesel because the dealer gave me a really great deal on it, out the door after 100,000 mile extended warranty and loan interest my total cost comes out to just over $32,000 dollars for a truck that has a window sticker MSRP of $50,265 dollars. The recall on my truck was already done by the dealer for the EGR and the windshield wiper nut being under torqued.

I am loving my Ram 1500 ecodiesel, I did purchase the Green Diesel Engineering EPA approved ECM & TCM tunes which really work great. My engine stock with stock ECM tune is rated 240 HP and 420 lbs ft torque, the Green Diesel Engineering EPA approved ECM tune adds 30 HP and 60 lbs ft torque for 270 HP and 480 lbs ft torque.

The 2020 Ram you are looking at is the new Gen5 body and frame with the new Gen3 ecodiesel, the Gen3 ecodiesel is rated at 260 HP and 480 lbs ft torque. It is supposed to get better fuel mileage EPA rated at 22 MPG city and 32 MPG highway for the two wheel drive models, I believe the four wheel drive models are 1 MPG lower.

The crew cabs are nice and roomy and Ram has the best interior of any brand for several years now. Ram has a 12 inch infotainment screen on some models but it has been known to be buggy, I like the 8.4 inch screen better it has a much better reputation and really how big of a screen do you really need, to me the 12 inch screen is a distraction but some people like it so there is a market for them. I find the 8.4 inch to be plenty big enough with tons of information at your finger tips. With Ram you can get adjustable pedals to go with the adjustable drivers seat to really fine tune the drivers seating position.

I have owned Dodge/Ram trucks since 1996 and have had good luck with them, they have been reliable.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I knew a little bit about an EGR problem with the earlier eco d long before the recal. At that time a friend working in dealer was telling me of egr burning holes in intake I think. But it was only showing up on vehicles towing regularly.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The new Gen3 ecodiesel has a redesigned EGR system, it is different than the Gen2 EGR system. Green Diesel Engineering felt that the issue was a tuning issue and could be fixed via the tune on the Gen2 ecodiesels. From what I can tell is this problem was not a big problem and was only a small number of trucks, the root cause is suspected to be an EGR valve that stuck open over heating the intake manifold resulting in the melted manifolds.

There are over 100,000 ecodiesel Rams on the road and that does not count the Jeeps that have the ecodiesel. The internet attracts those that have a problem and that turns into not just a few or small percentage of vehicles that have a problem but gets blown up to every vehicle will have the problem because all you can find on the internet are the people that have had a problem but you never hear about all the other owners who never had a problem.

It is like the slipped timing sprocket if you read the forums you will be convinced that every ecodiesel is going to suffer this issue but the reality is it was a small number of engines that have suffered this problem.

Then you have the brand loyal people who hear about a problem in this case the Ram and they go to every forum and bash the Ram trying to convince everyone that every Ram ever made will have this problem and they need to dump their Ram and buy a Ford or a Chevy depending which brand they are loyal to.

Don't start me on the people who have buyers remorse that nit pick every little thing on the vehicle because they bought a vehicle they really did not like in the first place as they go to every forum they can find and complain about anything and everything, like they found a single stitch that they do not think is correct on a seat, or they hit the same pot hole every day and hear a tiny little rattle the list just goes on and on with those people.

Reactions: BWM
1 - 5 of 5 Posts