DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on best way to set the trailer brake controller? In aftermarket controllers I'd set them by increasing gain and pulling the manual level until the brakes locked then go back 1 full point to prevent the brakes from locking. This process doesn't work in the ram factory brake controller.

I never got the trailer brakes to lock at 30mph pulling the manual lever, so I set it where I could just feel the tug of the trailer when I stepped on the brake.

Yesterday, I had a short stop when a jerk ran a red light and trailer brakes locked and started to slide. The truck had more braking power than I could use because the trailer was locked and I was controlling it. All was fine in the end, it stopped and I kept control, it's a great truck.

So, how do I set the controller properly to maximize braking? For an 8000lb travel trailer with electric brakes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Integrated Trailer Brake Module adjustments

I usually set my trailer brakes at about 20 to 25 mph. Depending upon the weight of your trailer and the condition of the trailer brakes they may not lock up with the manual lever even with the gain set at 10.

I also set up my trailers for unloaded and loaded weights. I think you can set up for 4 different trailers. The one dump trailer I set on light electric at a gain setting of 3 when empty (about 2,200 lbs). I also set the same trailer at a heavy electric with a gain setting of 5 for when it is loaded (about 10,000 lbs). Works well for me and this trailer.

Push the UP or DOWN button on the steering wheel until “TRAILER TOW” appears on the screen.

Push the RIGHT arrow on the steering wheel to enter “TRAILER TOW”.

Push the UP or DOWN buttons until the Trailer Brake Type appears on the screen.

Push the RIGHT arrow and then push the UP or DOWN buttons until the proper Trailer Brake Type appears on the screen.

Choose either Light Electric (Under 10,000 lbs) or Heavy Electric (above10,000 lbs) Depending upon your trailer weight. The GAIN setting may need to be changed for the specific towing condition and should be changed as towing conditions change. Changes to towing conditions include trailer load, vehicle load, road conditions and weather.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've got it set at heavy electric since it's an 8k lb travel trailer, but finding the right gain setting seems to be the tricky part. I was running it at 7.5, but I've now lowered it to 5 and wondering if I went to far.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks, I've got it set at heavy electric since it's an 8k lb travel trailer, but finding the right gain setting seems to be the tricky part. I was running it at 7.5, but I've now lowered it to 5 and wondering if I went to far.
To many variables for every situation. As mentioned before set gain at low speed on dry pavement. Keep in mind that if road conditions change you will need to readjust on the fly. Road conditions like new pavement, old pavement, cement roads, and especially gravel roads.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not sure a 7-8k pound trailer is considered heavy. But in my case I tow two trailers: One is a 5ver weighing about 17k and the other is a boat trailer weighing just over 8k. I have the brake controller set at heavy electric and run the 5ver at about setting number 6.5-7 and the boat trailer at about 4.5. I then confirm the settings by driving around 15 mph and determining if the full manual activation of the brake controller pulls hard on the truck. If it does without locking the tires I know it's set. But you also have to keep in mind, very cold and very hot brakes can give you poorer performance in some cases too. After reading this reply, I realize I may not have helped at all. lol :wow:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. Maybe 8k isn't heavy, but on the light electric setting it didn't seem to have much impact at all on helping to slow it down until I got up over 8 on gain. I'll keep playing with it. I usually try to set it at about 20-25mph and the push the manual lever full, but I find in this truck I don't feel the pull as much and the trailer brakes never lock in this setup tests.

Thanks all, I'll keep adjusting as I go. Just wanted to see the best way to get the most braking power I could.

To be honest, this is the second truck with the factory trailer brake controller, and I think I actually prefer my old Tekonisha Prodigy P2. It was more adjustable and responded better to what the truck was actually doing.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
On light electric-really the only setting for my 1500-I will start off setting it one point for every thousand pounds. So setting 8/10 for an 8000lb trailer, 7 for a 7000lb etc... and adjust from there

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks for the help. Maybe 8k isn't heavy, but on the light electric setting it didn't seem to have much impact at all on helping to slow it down until I got up over 8 on gain. I'll keep playing with it. I usually try to set it at about 20-25mph and the push the manual lever full, but I find in this truck I don't feel the pull as much and the trailer brakes never lock in this setup tests.

Thanks all, I'll keep adjusting as I go. Just wanted to see the best way to get the most braking power I could.

To be honest, this is the second truck with the factory trailer brake controller, and I think I actually prefer my old Tekonisha Prodigy P2. It was more adjustable and responded better to what the truck was actually doing.

Thanks again!

Yeah, the Prodigy's are much better than the factory units, they spoil you I totally agree. But the factory units are generally good enough and I love the integration instead of a unit hanging by my knee's.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely like the integration better than having hanging at my knees. Placement is way better from both a looks and function perspective. Just wish RAM had invested a little more in making it a great controller, but I guess I ask too much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You need to take the temperature of the brakes into consideration before making adjustments to the brake controller settings. You will need to heat your brakes a bit before you make any settings to the brake controller.
To do this, pull up the manual brake lever on the brake controller while you are driving down the road at around 25mph. Since you will need to engage the brakes at the trailer side, bring along a companion to pull on the brakes for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
More useful information in here. You can refer it. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts