DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new tothe Ram Forum. I own a 2016 RAM 2500,6.7 L Diesel, 4X4, Laramie. I am pullinga 5th wheel RV (16,000 lbs.) and I am getting intermittent brakewiring warnings when I first hook up the RV to the Truck (plug brake connectionto side wall in bed) and start a trip. The warnings will intermittently flash “Check Trailer Brake Wirings” and“Trailer Brake Disconnected”, but never stay on for longer than a few seconds. This will continue until I am on the highwayand running at highway speed. As Ireturn to a stop, the warnings will return. The trailer brakes seem fine, because I have no problem instopping. I have had the RAM dealer andthe RV dealer review the issue, but they just point fingers as each other. Has anyone had these issues and found aresolution?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been getting the same warning recently. It started about 6 months ago with my flatbed (7pin trailer wire), plugged into the socket on the bumper. It had never happened before that (in 2 1/2 years?). Then a month ago it happened with my gooseneck horse trailer plugged into the socket in the bed.

When I tested the trailer brakes using the controller, I had no trailer brakes. I cleaned all the terminals, but don't expect any changes as this is with 2 different trailers plugged into the bed and the bumper brake/light socket. I couldn't tell if the brake lights were working, but I turned on the headlights and wasnt able to see my trailer marker lights either.

I have a 2106 3500 Laramie Longhorn Crewcab 4x4 with the 8' bed, 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission diesel with the integrated trailer brake controller. Also, I've noticed that when I disconnect any trailer the engine running, I get a message that the trailer brake is disconnected. I have to shut down and restart to clear the message.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
You would get more viewers & answers if you click on the link below, then find your Rams year & then maybe the electrical section for that year

https://www.ramforumz.com/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check plug

I now have a Ram but , I had this happen on a F150 last summer. The wiring plug on the inside of the bumper for the trailer plug receptacle came loose and was making and breaking. Cleaned the plug and hooked it up tight, end of problem. You cannot see anything until you crawl under the truck and check the wiring in behind. Worth checking as it would be built the same way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts