DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the 5 wire plug https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56584/?SID=ep65nmpm1aen88jtp14f8dr1l5
f though at this time not needing the 5th socket,but it was recommended to get the 5 hole ! I may need it one day so got it. And like mentioned a 4 plug trailer harness will fit and it does, BUT leaved the extra hole open to the shit we get on our roads ! Found these plugs that fit the exposed hole very well . So Keep Your Hole Clean :O
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-inch-...899251?hash=item41e3c036f3:g:zfYAAOSw9RdbFIf5 so a cheap fix if someone cares lol

·
Registered
409 Posts
hey that's cool, thanks for the link

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey that's cool, thanks for the link
Your welcome. I figured that the dust cover that comes with them can get lost also. And have the extra plug hole covered would keep all the road crap out so win win :)And cheap lol FYI those plugs came in assorted sizes abd shapes as well.. My hidden Hitch is square and the crooss member was open both ends, so put is the square plugs

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
In places where they use salt on the roads

Those 4 & 5 pin connectors can build up corrosion, it is usually green
It builds up inside of the holes

Then one day you notice that when you turn on one of the signal lights, the lights on both sides flash, but one is dimmer than the other, or other crazy things happen with signal & license plate lights.
First thing to check is your trailer plugs to see if there is corrosion, it can build up to the point that it shorts out between pins & actually feed back power all the way up front to your fuse box & that allows power to go places that should not be activated.

Dielectric grease can be packed into those unused pin holes too

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In places where they use salt on the roads

Those 4 & 5 pin connectors can build up corrosion, it is usually green
It builds up inside of the holes

Then one day you notice that when you turn on one of the signal lights, the lights on both sides flash, but one is dimmer than the other, or other crazy things happen with signal & license plate lights.
First thing to check is your trailer plugs to see if there is corrosion, it can build up to the point that it shorts out between pins & actually feed back power all the way up front to your fuse box & that allows power to go places that should not be activated.

Dielectric grease can be packed into those unused pin holes too
I agree 110% corrosion is a issue up here in Maine > When I installed the harness I hit all the connections with Dielectric grease

! When I pulled the factory coupling apart to plug in the 5 prong harness about of 1/2 teaspoon of fine dirt fell out:doh: We use that liquid salt brine up here and that shit goes everywhere:Wow1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts