DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck's trailer-light power module does not work, except for the left turn signal. Can I just bypass it and plug my trailer's lights directly into the truck's lights? The trailer has 6 side marker lights and the normal lights on the back, turn-signals, brakes, lamps...
This is a 97 dodge ram 1500 5.9.
Also, I need to put cab-ma5rker lights on top of the cab too. 5. Maybe I could use the 1 working curcuit on the current power module to power up the cab marker lights & buy a new power module for the trailer lights. How many amps can I draw from the truck's lighting system before it brakes something costly?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah, I'd lose the module thing. Your local auto parts store, even Walmart sells the tee loom for the 4 or 5 flat connecter and a flat round adapter, one end should plug in line at each tailight bulb, with a short extension which will reach past the bumper, if you need constant power, and/or need breakaway power, I'd run the 3(if I remember right) wires up the left frame rail, and use a bigger wire, say 10 or 12, for constant power for peaking out your breakaway battery, interior lights, or winch power. (I use 2 6volts for winching, if you do this, disconnect trailer harness before winching, or you'll need some fuses. I'd wire the clearance lights to parking light power,I am guessing that you are not using any amber turn signals, if this is true, no sweat. amber turn signals require diodes, which I won't get into here. Trailer brakes and breakaway brakes need the extra wiring, little utility trailers don't, all they need is flat 4 connectors, round ones are a little more complex, with a cab mounted brake controller brain box, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts