DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Do you know if your truck will recognize another trailer's braking system?

Does the break away switch on your horse trailer engage the trailer's brakes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both trailers have a seperate breakaway battery mounted on the side of the gooseneck pipe post. They have a pin on a cable that locks the brakes when it is unseated. They both show charged and working.

I pulled both of these trailers with my 2015 3500 Longhorn. The older one for 2 1/2 years and about 15000 miles. The new one I have pulled about 3500 miles total so far. The older one is not an LQ trailer. The newer one is.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Welcome to the Ram Forum " Z " Family Brushy Creek Ranch :wavey:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just came in from hooking and unhooking to all my trailers. The integrated trailer brake will recognize the 2013 Montana 3900FB. It will NOT recognize either horse trailer on any setting. I tried them all. I still have all lights and blinkers just not activating the trailer brakes. This is sooooooooo frustrating!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finally gave up getting my integrated brake controller to work with my horse trailer...bought a $75 brake controller and $15 adapter and unplugged the oem and simply plugged in aftermarket under the dash and no more stupid "check trailer brake wiring" messages. For me it's much better than going back to the dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just had this problem with my camper. There is a short in the trailer brake system, likely one of the magnets is bad.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I went through this with our Montana last week, we were on the road with it and it started say Check Trailer Brake wiring and then it would say trailer brake disconnected. Had the trailer to the dealer 3 time while on our trip and in the end it was the wires going through the back plate were to long and got messed up in the magnet. Also I did a bunch of search and some of the Montanas have messed up wires in the axial tubes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello and thanks!

Hi gang, I've just signed on for the first time and I want to start off by saying thanks to Monster5601 for the tip that the trailer brakes can be tested by engaging the breakaway switch. I jacked up one side of the trailer, pulled out the breakaway switch and confirmed that the brakes were engaged (I could not turn the wheels). I repeated the process on the other side with the same result. So I figured it was either the truck's fault or the wire from the connector to the junction box was bad. But when I reinserted the breakaway switch and started the truck, the problem was gone! I'm a little puzzled about why that fixed the problem, but I'll take it. I guess it's possible the contacts on the breakaway switch had gotten corroded and somehow confused the truck's trailer brake connection circuitry, and removing/reinserting it cleaned them. But it's an easy thing to try if you're having this problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How to avoid a step

In the future you could just pull the brake-away plug/pin and then drag the trailer to see if the wheel's turn or lock-up. Saves the time of jacking it up. The one advantage of jacking it up would be to check the bearing play.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me last year on the way home from a snowmobile trip in Canada with the message of trailer not being connected. Tuns out this year when I took the trailer for inspection it had a bad(intermittent functioning brake magnet ) and also a break in the wire on that same wheel. I got the trailer back and after being repaired the message has not come back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue with my new 2500. Brakes on the old dump trailer work fine. The truck will not recognize the new 24 ft. equipment trailer I have. The trailer dealer says its a truck problem and the Dodge dealer says it's a trailer problem, which I guess means it's my problem now. I really have not had time to mess with it yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a mechanical genius

The wires were not hooked to the brakes at the axle. As my dealer said the trailer was okay I never thought to look there. Talk about feeling stupid!!! Brakes work great now. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts